Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thermostat removal?

Hey guys
    Thought while im waiting to get ahold of a new extended pump (see the "What the heck is this noise" topic, haha ) thought id ask a quick question... It was mentioned to me there about taking the thermostat out and leaving it out.... Im newbie when it comes to this, but learning quickly.... Anyway, is it wise to remove it permantley? If so whats the bad and good of it? Thanks alot!
    Mark

There is some debate on this but it seems most on this site favor removing it. I personally think its a good idea to leave it in as a restriction because water can go thru the engine so quickly that either A; it never reaches proper operating temp, or B; the engine will actually run hotter as the water doesnt spend enough time in the motor for good heat transfer(I have seen this happen w/automotive engines). Should the t-stat fail closed, the pop off valve will still allow water flow.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I run them in both of my Fuji's, 750 and 780. I removed the spring and plunger as recommended by Group K. I guess those are the parts that can hang up and block the flow.

+1
    I guess there is a reason why Polaris stopped putting them in a number of their watercraft from 2000 and up... In my opinion, unless you are riding in water colder than 55 degrees, I'd remove it...none of mine have them. Every year I ride on Lake Superior along the Minn. coast line. Water temp at max. in summer is around 41-43 degrees. I've yet to have an issue in 8yrs. The cooler you can run your engine the better!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I run without one in mine with the pissers. And after a good hard run, the water coming out is quite warm. So I'd guess it was up to temp AND had plenty of time to transfer heat. No problems to date.

Remove the thermostat but keep the pop off and spring.

cool, thanks for all the responses! Once my ski is all back up and running, ill give that drive..... I noticed before my ski went bad a few weeks back, the cooling rail was HOT, is that a good sign or bad? Im gonna assume good since the heat was probably properly gettin to the water, but i just didnt expect it to be that hot. As for lake temps around here, id see when id be riding theyd be anywhere from 65 to 90 degrees, depending on the the time of year...

+1
    What BB states has some merrit, BUT, this is not a closed looped cooling system so the water transfer to cool the engine doesn't apply as you always have a large fresh supply of cooling water.
    With the thermostat out you still have enough restriction within the system to find a good operating temperature. Yes it will take a minute or two longer for complete warm up.
    When a thermostat fails (and they always will), the water will exit though the pop-off by-pass but is it enough to properly cool your ride at WOT?
    I also vote for ditching the thermostat.......well actually I vote for ditching the entire cooling bar and installing independent pissers so I can monitor and adjust the temp of each cylinder.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    Remove the thermostat but keep the pop off and spring.
    I was told the exact opposite and after taking mine a part it was obvious why. They break and get jammed up.

I have been running it that way for about two years now with no problems. No thermostat and with pop off installed. I even ran it this march when the waters were about 50*, with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information