Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USE or NOT to Use Riva Free Flow Kit...

I need your opinion on this. I have a stock boat, that a Riva D-plate is going in. I also bought the Riva free flow kit, thinking it would help. I read a thread on someone testing with and without the free flow kit, and he said his ski was faster with out the free flow kit, with the stock sound supresstion left on?? I don't want a louder ski. I will be adding parts as I have $ to bring my ski up to a stage2. I have to take out the water box for broken cat parts, so I figured it was a good time to install this FF kit. Some of you have said the kit is LOUD. If it is loud, and there is no performance gain, I don't see the purpose of the up grade. Thanks for all info on this...... James in WV USA.

+1
    You can feel a free flow hit a little harder on bottom and some mid but you will lose about 40+rpm on top,average of 1/2 mph +/- .I make a 3" free flow out of sch.40 ABS pipe that work very well and they are quieter than a stainless tube.The free flow will be noticably louder than your stock SS.

With a lightly modded ski like yours,you can keep the stock SS in without a problem.If you are looking for a better holeshot and dont mind the loss up top,and the added sound,then go with the free flow.

When you run high compression AND/OR alot of timing,then a free flow is reccomended to help prevent detonation.

What year is your ski.There are more important things to do first before you start modding.
    1-pump tunnel reinforcment
    2-PPK seal the pump
    3-waveeater clips/couplers if its a PV ski
    4-get rid of your stock intake grate and get an R&D 800/1200
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 09-15-2007 at 04:22 PM.

+1
    Lots of opinions on this one James some say better holeshot but loss of topend. I run it myself it is a little louder in the low RPM range but I like it.

+1
    I have the R&D stainless pipe on my 06'........ its loud and makes me happy.

I HATED mine... Took it off the big bore ski, put the SS back on and love it. It is faster on top with SS. I really couldnt tell any accell difference, just hated that drone echo sound when criusing at 4-5k rpms.

So ok, I have an 03 with stage 1, reed stuffers, 3 degree key, and 145 lb heads. Should I use the freeflow or should I leave it off? Donald

I Have a 2001 GP1200R....

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    You can feel a free flow hit a little harder on bottom and some mid but you will lose about 40+rpm on top,average of 1/2 mph +/- .I make a 3" free flow out of sch.40 ABS pipe that work very well and they are quieter than a stainless tube.The free flow will be noticably louder than your stock SS.

With a lightly modded ski like yours,you can keep the stock SS in without a problem.If you are looking for a better holeshot and dont mind the loss up top,and the added sound,then go with the free flow.

When you run high compression AND/OR alot of timing,then a free flow is reccomended to help prevent detonation.

What year is your ski.There are more important things to do first before you start modding.
    1-pump tunnel reinforcment
    2-PPK seal the pump
    3-waveeater clips/couplers if its a PV ski
    4-get rid of your stock intake grate and get an R&D 800/1200
    I have a WaveEater clip/coupler set I will be installing Monday with the D plate and ( if I do) free flow kit.....

+1
    I didn't realize how much I hated my FF until I took it off. It was ok idling, and at full throttle, but way too loud at midrange cruise. My wife could hear me racing 2 miles away at our lake. Got even worse with 1390. Mine was a 1200, I have heard that the 1300 waterbox is quieter with FF.

+1
    I am installing the silicon ff from riva on my 07 this week mainly because of the 3degree keyway being installed with the 150 psi head from Jim... Detonation will be less likely!!!
    Last edited by james k; 09-15-2007 at 10:34 PM.

With high compression head and timing increase you need the FF to be safe. With stock motor, no FF needed. Use the rubber FF tube if noise is an issue, I have it and it has a nice mellow sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information