how do you winterize a 1999 Seadoo XPL

I would like to know how difficult it is to winterize my 1999 SeadooXPL. I am storing it in a heated garage in Southern Ontario so as long as power interruption doesn't occur i would be ok. I don't want to take that chance and want to winterize for the just in case. i would also like to know if it is necessary to clean the Rave valves as well and if so how to do it. any help would be greatly appreciated. i am new to the sport and love it.

Steps for complete winterization

I will try to list all the steps for you that I do. But consult your manual it lists the details of all the steps...

1. Make sure to tip the ski as far rearward (lift the front) as possible to make sure you get all the water out of the hull.
    2. Make sure all fittings that can get grease are greased
    3. Add fuel stabilizer to your last tank of gas for the season and fog the motor very well after your last ride of the season...Make sure to turn the fuel selector off and give the ski a few quick bursts of throttle to help drain the carbs.
    4. Make sure the hull is completely cleaned out dried and wiped down. (free of moisture) and exterior of ski cleaned and waxed. After the interior and exterior of the ski is ready I'd make sure to tighten the drain plugs...
    5. Make sure to fill the system with antifreeze (use biodegradeable -you don't have to worry about harming the environment next spring), also make sure it is suitable for the temperatoures you get in the winter...dont' thin it out with water too much - and recoup what is left over. When you reattach the hoses that you need to take loose to fill the system when you reattach them some antifreeze will drain out. If you get any inside the hull WIPE IT UP and make sure the HULL is DRY.
    6. Make sure to add some anti freeze to the water box - exhaust
    7. Make sure to remove and ground the spark plugs and give the cylinders a burst of fogging oil to make sure they get sufficient lube. crank the engine just a little - then reseat the plugs not to torque just to 'snug' em up. Leave the cables grounded that way next spring you will remeber to put new plugs in.
    8. Make sure the engine drain hose is clear...
    10. If you have PROKS put plastic bags over them secured with rubber bands.
    11. Remove the battery, wipe it down and put it on wood blocks, and set the charger on automatic. It will automatically recharge the battery over the winter. I keep mine indoors to keep it from freezing.
    12. Spray everything in the engine compartment with WD40 (Spray inside all cables with cable lube)
    13. Set the seat on but don't 'snap' it in place let the engine compartment breathe.
    14. Grease your wheel bearings on the trailer
    15. Deflate the tires just a little and put the trailer up on jack stands
    16. Put just a little dielectric grease on the trailer plugs then cover the plug with a plastic bag and a rubber band...then tie wrap it to the trailer so it doesn't blow in the wind.
    17. Change the oil in your jet pump. Use synthetic 75-90W...Seadoo says use their lube....I use MOBIL 1 synthetic gear lube. Make sure to do the leak test on the jet pump.
    18. if you are storing it outside so I'd also get 2 tarps and cover it. make sure to cover the craft with the everyday cover, then put the first tarp on it and make it pretty tight. not susecptible to those winter winds...next take a tarp and put it over the whole deal and make it a little looser - but still secure.
    19. Once a month or so go out and make sure everything is okay with the tarps, and battery.

In the spring...do the obvious stuff, give the ski the once over everything, steering gauges, etc, new fuel, I like to use sunoco 94 for the first tank, new plugs (gap verified) ( I always give a little burst of fogging oil when installing the new plugs) , look for anything out of place. Fire it up out of the water let it run for a few minutes and smile cuz summer is coming...
    This is going to take some time to do it right but, you will be thankful that you did all the steps in the spring...GL

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    10 minute winterizing...

Remove top hose coming off head. Get a funnel and pour a pint to a quart of antifreeze in. If it starts coming out the exhaust, stop... all done.

Remove spark plugs, fog engine through air filter while turning over engine, then finish by spraying inside cylinders.

Remove battery cable.

The rest can be done as you have time.

im a little sketchy on the whole antifreeze thing.ive got a 97 SPX what hose (location) is it i pour the antifreeze in? then do i start the motor or leave it in there all winter?
    thanks

winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by levonhelmet View Post
    im a little sketchy on the whole antifreeze thing.ive got a 97 SPX what hose (location) is it i pour the antifreeze in? then do i start the motor or leave it in there all winter?
    thanks
    Ask XPS...I am sure in GA they get pretty severe winters...probably very much like the canadian winters
    Last edited by GSXRYDER; 09-16-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: forgot last line

thanks
    The top hose on the head facing the rear...keep ski level and pour in until you get antifreeze out the exhaust. It doesn't take much. No need to run engine. Make sure you fog it too.

yeah really...like uh whats a snow blower?
    hey XPSS can i hang at your place for the next 7 months....of course i have to bring my wife and 2 kids and my dog....well i guess i can leave my wife here...!!!

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRYDER View Post
    Ask XPS...I am sure in GA they get pretty severe winters...probably very much like the canadian winters

yeah really...like uh whats a snow blower?
    hey XPSS can i hang at your place for the next 7 months....of course i have to bring my wife and 2 kids and my dog....well i guess i can leave my wife here...!!!
    Ha ha! Come on down! Best time to buy ever now...plenty of brand-new houses about to be foreclosed. I have 6 kids...now u know why u'd have to find ur own place to hang...

We barely had a winter last year. It does get cold, mostly in January, and maybe, if the kids are lucky, we get snow once a year.

I lived outside of Cleveland, OH until I was 9 years old...know what snow is. You guys can have it! I'll fly out west to Park City or CO to get my fill...

Thread Information