Question Seadoo '98 XP 951 Hard Starting only when cold

Hey Everyone, I am a newb here, but I do know of people that can fix 2 strokes. I was hoping to get some info from you fine people! I have a Seadoo 98 XP 951 full stock. It runs very well, but takes sometimes a full minute to start the first time when it has not been run for a while (few days or a week or so). I have no primer, so I can only try starting it with the start button over & over again. I've tried throttle closed, open, long starts, short starts, etc. It always seems like it takes a while to start, but it always starts after about a minute of cranking, sometimes (but rarely) less. Also, when up & running for even just 5 minutes I can turn it off and 100% of the time it starts back up in under 2 seconds!! It's never failed me on a warm start. So what can I do so it starts quicker from a cold start.

+1
    That motor has an accelerator pump on it.
    Try this. This is what I do on mine and it fires up first time.

Pump the throttle 3-4 times slowly then leave the throttle closed. Pull the choke and crank the starter. Hold the choke out for about 2-3 seconds as it starts.

Pumping the throttle pumps gas directly into the carbs.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger203 View Post
    Hey Everyone, I am a newb here, but I do know of people that can fix 2 strokes. I was hoping to get some info from you fine people! I have a Seadoo 98 XP 951 full stock. It runs very well, but takes sometimes a full minute to start the first time when it has not been run for a while (few days or a week or so). I have no primer, so I can only try starting it with the start button over & over again. I've tried throttle closed, open, long starts, short starts, etc. It always seems like it takes a while to start, but it always starts after about a minute of cranking, sometimes (but rarely) less. Also, when up & running for even just 5 minutes I can turn it off and 100% of the time it starts back up in under 2 seconds!! It's never failed me on a warm start. So what can I do so it starts quicker from a cold start.
    Are you even choking it? You didn't even mention this...

I'm sorry, yes I am choking the machine the entire time I am starting it. Not pumping the choke, just holding it out.

DrewNJ: I will try that slow 3x pump of the throttle, then holding the choke out the next time I start it. Right now it's at a buddy's house, he borrowed it to go out with some friends.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    lots and lots of ether starting fluids

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger203 View Post
    I'm sorry, yes I am choking the machine the entire time I am starting it. Not pumping the choke, just holding it out.
    Drew is right...since you have an accelerator pump, you have a makeshift primer system. If the ski has been run within 3 weeks: Before even turning it over...squeeze the throttle three times full wot motion. Let off, then pull the choke, hold the start button no more than 3 seconds. Repeat. Do this 2-3 times and she'll fire right up every time.

If more than 3 weeks...I always snatch the plugs and pour a little gas down the cylinders. The engine will fire right away and only run a few seconds, but this allows the fuel pump to fill the carbs with fuel, and the pump-then-crank method will work.

951's are very sensitive to starting. The battery has to be good, and excessive cranking will overheat and burn up the starter.

1999 GTX Ltd. "Doo Knots" Doo-Knots's Avatar

Thumbs up My 951 Starting Experience

Ranger203,
    I can relate to your starting challenge. My 1999 GTX Ltd. tends to flood easily if not started just right, but she has always started except when we had to pull her during the recent Lake Texoma flood and I let the battery run down. I am going to try the 3X throttle pump, choke, start sequence and see if she starts more quickly. "Doo Knots" is used on the weekends regularly in warm weather, so she gets started initially after a week's rest, and runs great for the entire weekend.
    Last edited by Doo-Knots; 09-20-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add Signature

Thread Information