Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Speed at WOT?

I took my ski out the other day to just give it a quick try and make sure the adjustments that I made fixed my previous problem (jet ski would cut out at WOT, it would just die). So I replaced all of the fuel lines and received some help cleaning the carbs. My previous problem was fixed and the ski would not cut out at WOT and it seemed to run just fine...when I was on it that is.

So I brought the ski in and let my buddy hop on, and as soon as he idled out of the no wake zone marina, he tried to go WOT but the ski's top speed was only like 5 MPH at WOT! Any idea what could cause this? It was working fine for me but as soon as he hopped on and started it up again, no speed at WOT!?!? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    What are max RPM's??
    Is the engine screaming and the boat just not accelerating?
    Or is the entire engine just bogging down?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    What are max RPM's??
    Is the engine screaming and the boat just not accelerating?
    Or is the entire engine just bogging down?
    What he said ^^^^. And you need to do a compression test again. If I remember you had some poor numbers on 1 or 2 cyls.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Are there weeds in that area? If you block the intake you'll get no speed and overheat.If that was the case hopefully he did try to stay on it long.Check Compression (like already stated)and also check pump for blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    What he said ^^^^. And you need to do a compression test again. If I remember you had some poor numbers on 1 or 2 cyls.

Well we know the compression in 2 of the cylinders is not that good but why would it run fine at all? What good will it do if we test the compression again?

There were no weeds in the area, it ran just fine for me so I'm just confused on what it could be.

I have a friend with the same model and his is basically brand new and his was doing the same thing...we found that if we played with the choke while trying to accelerate the problem went away. Any idea why?

PS: Engine was simply just bogging down, not revving real hard when not going fast.

+1
    So ne RPM's and pulling the choke makes it better.
    You're running lean, find the restriction in the fuel supply to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    So ne RPM's and pulling the choke makes it better.
    You're running lean, find the restriction in the fuel supply to the engine.

Should I open the fuel pump and check that out? Me and Xlint checked that and it looked clean...maybe I didn't put it back together properly...

I changed the fuel lines and have run it maybe 10 minutes tops with the new lines. What else culd make it run lean?

In fact, what does "running lean" even mean?

+1
    Lean is a condition of not enough fuel flowing to the combustion chamber. No fuel, no BIG explosion, no piston getting shoved to the bottom of it's stroke to turn the crank fast enough.
    Water in the fuel can cause a lean condition as you displace the fuel with water, again same problem...lean.
    A bent line or fallen off pick up, plugged or damaged fuel valve, garbage in carbs and/or jets, plugged internal carb filters, plugged lines feeding the carbs and the list goes on.
    How is the pulse line from the engine? If it's weak or poor, it will not pull the fuel pump diaghram and again no fuel to supply the engine.
    From the way it sounds, I'd think a large restriction like a fuel valve or plugged carb filters.
    Wish I were there to have a look.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Next best thing Al, I went through it for him. He replaced the fuel lines, I opened the carbs and cleaned them thoroughly, we checked the fuel selector, opened the fuel pump and inspected it. Never inspected the fuel pick up in the tank though. (good place to check Adam) I failed to check the pulse hose for issues. Adam, I suggested the compression test again because you may have lost compression in one of the cylinders while you were riding it. If I remember, your numbers were around 120, 100, and 80? Don't assume anything yet, but definately look for a bag or rope, etc... wrapped around the driveshaft, or blockage inside the pump first.

+1
    Oh COOL. When you get it to the water again check the MAX RPM's and we'll have a better idea of what's going on. You have my number call me when you get to the water and we'll get it figured out.
    Good call on the compression check. Definately check it before heading to the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information