Ski almost sank!!!!

Ok guys so I have the jetworks mod, D-plate, efi, riva filter, tach. I was tuning the efi while I was on the water. It was running great, I was hitting 7240 rpms. So I was racing my friend and the rpm started falling. finally stopping at 6400-6500. So I took the seat off and there was smoke and water. Luckily the bildge was helping me out a little. So I put the seat back on and hauled ass through the 1/2 mile no wake zone to the dock. By the time i got there there the motor was choking on the smoke and there was enough water to make to ski handle really weird. Anyways havent found the problem yet........But I really had fun doing 50 through a no-wake zone!!!! I think the jetworks fried my couplers, so I am going to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by dcs191919 View Post
    Ok guys so I have the jetworks mod, D-plate, efi, riva filter, tach. I was tuning the efi while I was on the water. It was running great, I was hitting 7240 rpms. So I was racing my friend and the rpm started falling. finally stopping at 6400-6500. So I took the seat off and there was smoke and water. Luckily the bildge was helping me out a little. So I put the seat back on and hauled ass through the 1/2 mile no wake zone to the dock. By the time i got there there the motor was choking on the smoke and there was enough water to make to ski handle really weird. Anyways havent found the problem yet........But I really had fun doing 50 through a no-wake zone!!!! I think the jetworks fried my couplers, so I am going to take it off.
    It sounds like an exhaust hose came loose or off.

Do you have a flush kit hooked up by chance?

If you do, I'd check and make sure the plug is in that.

If not, it might actually help to install one and hook a garden hose up. This will give you an almost immediate answer as to what is leaking. I'd guess that one of the coolant return hoses popped off, or the you have a crack in the exhaust connectors where it goes out of the hull (that would explain the smoke)

+1
    If the jetworks get's clogged or i set to open at too high an rpm it will cause your exhaust to overheat and in turn the weakest link will fail. Usually couplers, SS box or hose. I have seen guys who used the Home Depot PVC pipe for the free flow melt these also.

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    If the jetworks get's clogged or i set to open at too high an rpm it will cause your exhaust to overheat and in turn the weakest link will fail. Usually couplers, SS box or hose. I have seen guys who used the Home Depot PVC pipe for the free flow melt these also.
    Whats the best way to prevent clogging? Obviously only ride in 4ft+ water, but what else? Can a small metal filter put put on somewhere along the hose?

I think it may be the coupler thats closest to the jetworks block off gasket. I felt underneath the coupler and it had hot water on it. Soo... I guess that could be it. I was afraid I was hurting the motor on the way back to the lift because it kept bogging down. But I guess all the smoke in hull stopped the engine from getting fresh air... I think the coupler just came off. I didnt smell burnt plastic. All i know is that if I didnt have the jetworks blockoff gasket in there my ski would have sank because there would have been a ton more water coming through the system.

You should have opened your seat and pushed it back a bit so that the rear of it sits on the grab handle. This would have aided the smoke from escaping.

If there was smoke, one of the exhaust hoses under the battery compartment has melted or popped out.

Thread Information