Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

Took my ultra 250 out to the lake yesterday and it was running really bad.Had to crank it over a couple of times before it fired up.when it finally started it would not go past 25 mph.After about 10 min. of riding it finnally started running better but would not go past 6300 rpms or a speed of 45mph.My ski has 34 hours on it.What do you think the problem could be?Also one thing i noticed was it used up the gas really fast. Newbie here please help.

Most likely plugs are bad...many threads on this...

BLK BLUR, after about 50 hrs of trouble free operation, I developed very similar symptoms. Only difference is ski has always started fine and loss of top end is intermittent. After installing new plugs, and flushing intercooler, I still had virtually identical problem as you--RPMs stuck at about 6300, top end at 47mph. After about 1.5 hrs of riding and a brief stop though ski suddenly surged into the 60s. Dealer suspects clogged breather pipe, part #32153, but I'm beginning to suspect a fuel delivery problem. Should know more later this week. Please let me know if you make any progress on your end because the symptoms sound so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    BLK BLUR, after about 50 hrs of trouble free operation, I developed very similar symptoms. Only difference is ski has always started fine and loss of top end is intermittent. After installing new plugs, and flushing intercooler, I still had virtually identical problem as you--RPMs stuck at about 6300, top end at 47mph. After about 1.5 hrs of riding and a brief stop though ski suddenly surged into the 60s. Dealer suspects clogged breather pipe, part #32153, but I'm beginning to suspect a fuel delivery problem. Should know more later this week. Please let me know if you make any progress on your end because the symptoms sound so similar.
    Man that sounds like what mine is doing. I'm gonna try and get some plugs tomorrow and i will definately let you know.Thanks you for responding to my thread

I changed the spark plugs the other day and now my ski is running real good

BLK BLUR, thats good news. Its very strange though that our symptoms were virtually identical yet changing the plugs did not help me at all. Still stuck at 6300rpms, 47-48 mph, bad holeshot on fresh plugs and clean intercooler. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Both of you, did you use platinum plugs (stock ones) or the iridium ones?

Npara, when the problem first surfaced, I switched to the iridiums which made no difference. We then cleaned the intercooler and switched to new factory plugs. Still made no difference. Kawi told my dealer to check the breather pipe for silicone plugging. Thats being done now and will test this weekend. I thought it might be a leaky BOV but EShakr pointed out that this would not explain why on some occasions the ski has suddenly surged into the 60s for brief periods of time. I have not tested the BOV myself because the WOT on trailer test described here worries me. I suspected some clog in the fuel line because that little clip that retains the gas cap broke and fell into the tank but the dealer did not seem to think this would cause the reported symptoms. I sure hope the breather pipe is the problem because I'm trying to gear up for my first endurance race the following weekend. Any other ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Water in fuel maybe??

EShakr, nice new avatar, altho I have to correct this image I had in my mind of what I imagined was a huge chrome blower stickin out your front bow like on a top fuel dragster! Anyhow, I first thought of water in the fuel too but I have gone through 3 tanks of gas since the problem started. Would this not normally correct the problem by now? Oddly, the first day the problem started I also noted what I thought was unusally high fuel consumption just like Blur. The last 2 trips I have not been able to tell any difference in fuel use, however. I believe that Skip said somewhere that a clogged breather pipe can cause a wide array of symtoms which is why I'm holdin out hope thats the problem, esp since inspecting the breather pipe is the official instruction from Kawi. My own intuition has been a fuel delivery problem but I know better than to trust myself in these matters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information