Cool MSX 150 valve clearance check....

I am about 6 hours away from the 100 hour maintanence schedule of items in my owners manual. One of the items is checking the valve clearances (valve lash?), which I would have to have the local Polaris dealer perform. Inasmuch as I am strapped for funds, and the ski runs awesome, is this 'trip' really necessary? My gut tells me that if there isn't a history of these valves needing this, then it is just another effort to get my ski 'hijacked' by the dealer...and held ransom to the tune of $80 per hour!

Any experience here would be greatly appreciated....

+1

Cool

has it ever been done?

later cd

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    has it ever been done?

later cd
    Not by me...and I cannot speak for the original owner. This valve check wasn't called for until 100 engine hours, so my guess is that it has never been done.

Like I meant to imply...there are no unusual engine sounds, and the ski runs great...I just don't need to spend any money that isn't truely necessary!

Thanks for looking!

Don't you love being watched?? milesengineer's Avatar
    Weigh the options, new motor 2k. Checking valve lash, free if you have a car buddy... Just like checking valves on a car, find the spec, tdc, stick gauge in, make adjustments as necessary. On a forced induction engine it is very critical that all those things be in spec. If not really bad, and expensive, things will happen...

+1

Cool

her is what I do
    pull valve cover,use sucking of some kind,run hose right next to cam chain (goes to oil pan suck out all of oil,then check valves,you will need polaris tool if have to adjust.its not fun and you need to jam paper towels in all hole leading to bottom end. I charger 2,5 hr to do above

later cd

Quote Originally Posted by milesengineer View Post
    Weigh the options, new motor 2k. Checking valve lash, free if you have a car buddy... Just like checking valves on a car, find the spec, tdc, stick gauge in, make adjustments as necessary. On a forced induction engine it is very critical that all those things be in spec. If not really bad, and expensive, things will happen...
    Yeah...I agree that it probably isn't wise to ignore this 100 hour check. I just hate to have this engine 'cracked' open when it is running so well! I have this nightmare that when I get it back from the dealer (assuming that I don't try this myself) that all sorts of 'new' anomalies start occuring.... Kind of like dropping your kid off for the first day of kindergarten...will they be the same when you pick them up???

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    ...you will need polaris tool if have to adjust.its not fun and you need to jam paper towels in all hole leading to bottom end. I charger 2,5 hr to do above

later cd
    I live in Tallahassee, cd...do you take on outside jobs? If you have the tool, and the shims, would you consider checking my MSX?...I could get it there if you are interested!

+1

Cool

no problem,we are open sat. 9-6

give me call 850-215-5000 shop ask for chip

later cd

Good evening, CD!

Thanks for the reply...I'll be calling to work out the details!

Thread Information