Polaris Genesis not runing right

I just bought a 2002 Polaris Genesis FFI. I bought it know it had a problem. The guy I bought it from said that he had taken it to 2 shopes. The Polaris dealer said it needs a EMM. It will start but will not run smooth at all, has not throttle responce. Will Idel the best about about 1/4 throttle. When checking the spark, it does not seam that it is getting constant spark on 2 of the cylenders. Most of the time it will give 1 spark and then nothing sometimes it will just give nothing at all, sometimes it will give a little better spark but no where near what the 3rd cylender is doing. Anybody have any suggestions other than the EMM that might be wrong and how do I narrow it down to the EMM before spending the money and that not being it?
    thanks, Todd
    [email protected]

Zakos, welome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

There is an OEM service manual posted in the Tech Section that has a injection system trouble shooting guide. It might be worth checking out.

Let us know what you find.

-Rob

Don't you love being watched?? milesengineer's Avatar
    Unplug the tps like we talked about. If it will run without it then you have at least a part of the problem figured out. Also you say you have no throttle response but then you say it runs best at 1/4 throttle. Does it have throttle response then. Will it rev at all?

Ok, where is the TCP located at. I you said the back of the cylenders. I will try to look it up. Forgive me if I am not using the right wording when I say throttle responce. What it seams like is at 1/4 throttle it will idle, not throttle it will die, more throttle it will usualy bog and want to die but some times it will rev but it sound sick. I just went into the garage and cranked it over to check spark again. Did not give me any spark at all on the front cylender.

Don't you love being watched?? milesengineer's Avatar
    at the back of the throttle bodies is a black circular piece of plastic. Will have two wires running from it to a plug. Disconnect that plug and see what happens. Also, how are you checking spark?

Checking spark by removing the spark plug for the cylender, placing it in the wire, holding it to a non painted bolt of the head. Rear cylender will get good spark all the time. Front 2 will not. Have tried using different plugs and wires. Make no difference. So its not the plug or wires.

Quote Originally Posted by zakos View Post
    Checking spark by removing the spark plug for the cylender, placing it in the wire, holding it to a non painted bolt of the head. Rear cylender will get good spark all the time. Front 2 will not. Have tried using different plugs and wires. Make no difference. So its not the plug or wires.
    Update. Ok, I spent a little time today. The spark issue seamed strange so I looked at the coil" I think" where the plug wire comes from and check the wire that goes to each one and cleaned the connection. Now Im getting spark on all three cylenders. But its still not running right. Fuel pump seams to be working, but I have not checked the preasure. Im wondering if it could be a fuel injector. Im going to stop by the dealer tomarrow and order a shop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by zakos View Post
    Im going to stop by the dealer tomarrow and order a shop manual.
    You don't have to buy the manual!! It is in the tech section and you can download it from there.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35358

Also check out:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38870

I received your PM yesterday, but figured I'd reply in here

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35358

That's the link to the 2002 service manual
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 09-19-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Thread Information