Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

never had this happen

ok i went to the lake today and when i was firing up the skis the sl fired up and idled up like normal. when i went to push the kill button it kept running so i pulled the lanyard and it kept running i started to freak out i pulled the wires off of the plugs and it kept running finally i shut off the fuel and it died. after that i went to fire it back up and there was no mfd. i replaced the fuse and it came back to life cranked it and nothing. there is no spark anymore. i am thinking that the best place to start is the switch, but that doesn't make sense. does anyone have thoughts on this issue.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I'm going to assume you were freaking out because the ski wasn't in the water and it over heated from running out of the water. If I am correct and you were out of the water, the engine was glow plugging. It happened to my SBT 780 in my SLX and they wouldn't warranty it because the defective engine they sent me with the crank seals falling out of it the first time was apparently my mistake. I was suppose to know they sent me a defective product the first time. I wasted my warranty according to them. Anyway, it is usual cause by a lean condition, and a hot cylinder the plug just keeps firing. I learned the hard way too. that is why I laugh when people on here say by pass the shut off valve. Hell NO, replace it! Also I learned that you should grab full choke (or prime like mad) and give it the gas to flood out the cylinder glow plugging. I got away with honing my cylinder myself and putting in replacement piston. You might have got it shut down in time. Same thing, blew my fuses. everything started working again except the bilge pump, even with a new fuse it still don't work.

yes it was out of water. i am sure i did not over heat it and damage anything, but i do think it was glow plugging, there is no other explanation as to why it would continue to run without spark. shutting off the fuel did kill it thank god, this all happened over the course of about 30 seconds but i was crapping my shorts. i went out and unhooked the yellow and black wire from the kill switch to the ignition and amazingly was able to get a spark at the plug, but the spark seemed to be intermitten not like you would expect to see. i have the box apart and i was feeling around and the cdi seems to be warm. i don't know if this is normal or not as i have never needed to have the cdi exposed. i am wondering if the cdi is going bad??? i really hope not it is a 785 mod. with the black and yellow wire removed from the ski's system the kill switch should be out of the loop so i am thinking that is not the problem. does anyone know since i removed the plug wires from the plugs with it running if that could have damaged the coils or cdi. that is my fear.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you caught it in time. Won't hurt to do a compression check though. I hear ya on the crapping the shorts. I was so freaked out. I thought of the shut of valve too late. I pulled the plug wires and was like WTF. I ran in the garage and got a screw driver and disconnected the battery and it was still screaming. It was on my double trailer so I finally jumped between the skis and shut the valve. It's hard to think of what to do in panic mode, especially never even think this was possible. I was like no electricity you got to be kidding me. I'm no electrical guru. I'd just check the components while you are in there and see if everything checks out.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Wow, that's a strange one... I'm afraid CDI damage may have occured. They do say to ground the plug wires when cranking to prevent damage to the CDI. If you pulled plug wires while it was running, it may have. Try testing the coils and stator before you assume anything.

i will do some tests when i get time, i guess it is a good think it is the end of season, but what a crapy way to end, you know that feeling of unease when your ski is down, for me it is always in the back of my mind, almost like an obsession,,,,ok perhaps,like my wife keeps telling me, i am obsessed with my toys. O well i guess that comes with my money tests yes, i could switch cdi's back and try that. darn it the sl was running so good.. it was ripping.. that slx 780 that i just finished...the sl would walk all over that thing. i am so bummed well i guess i will update you all when i get the time for now i have a 90 hp johnson outboard to dig into.
    (anyone farmiliar with these?) just kidding i will save my troubles for another day. SUMMER TIME ROCKS!!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Wow, that's a strange one... I'm afraid CDI damage may have occured. They do say to ground the plug wires when cranking to prevent damage to the CDI. If you pulled plug wires while it was running, it may have. Try testing the coils and stator before you assume anything.
    I THINK HE PULLED THE LANYARD SO THERE IS NOT ANY SPARK TO HURT THE COIL(S) , CDI
    JUST MY 2 CENTS
    MATTMAN

KEYZBUM, I'd say you are correct,
    double checking for spark should be enough to confirm it though.

I've heard of this happening to drag sleds, a pair of gloved hands cupped over the air intakes shuts 'er down pretty good. (need a third hand for a triple cyl sled though).

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    KEYZBUM, I'd say you are correct,
    double checking for spark should be enough to confirm it though.

I've heard of this happening to drag sleds, a pair of gloved hands cupped over the air intakes shuts 'er down pretty good. (need a third hand for a triple cyl sled though).
    i would treat it like 2 problems
    first check tighten all intake bolts/nuts reed ect.....lean runaway (had it a couple of times and trips w/af cover mag and pto wont run on center....
    B (he-he) ohm test stator,then switch,then coils if all is good pm i willl send you a cdi
    mattman

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LANCE View Post
    when i went to push the kill button it kept running so i pulled the lanyard and it kept running i started to freak out i.
    Keyzbum, He did try that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information