SkiOnDaBrain

Add D Plate and lose top speed?

2001 GP1200R - stock with D plate and chip - 100 hrs

My cat con died so i had the dealer remove it and install the D Plate and chip. It runs fine but i've noticed that the top speed has dropped from 63'ish to about 57-58...even in smooth water. Before having the dealer install the D Plate I did some troubleshooting on my own. I removed the intake grate just to ensure nothing was clogged, etc. I definitely have more cavitation now after putting the intake back on.

I'm guessing that I need a new intake grate and pump seal kit, 13/19 Solas right? The cavitation goes away once I reach 20 mph or so. Do you guys think my loss in top speed could be due to the intake/pump/cavitation or something else? Just looking for a place to begin troubleshooting.

+1
    was the catalytic converter broken up in pieces - if yes you may have pieces in your exhaust (typically in the waterbox) that are blocking things up

I have the Same Year GP1200R....

Quote Originally Posted by emcewin View Post

My cat con died so i had the dealer remove it and install the D Plate and chip. It runs fine but i've noticed that the top speed has dropped from 63'ish to about 57-58...even in smooth water. Before having the dealer install the D Plate I did some troubleshooting on my own. I removed the intake grate just to ensure nothing was clogged, etc. I definitely have more cavitation now after putting the intake back on.

I'm guessing that I need a new intake grate and pump seal kit, 13/19 Solas right? The cavitation goes away once I reach 20 mph or so. Do you guys think my loss in top speed could be due to the intake/pump/cavitation or something else? Just looking for a place to begin troubleshooting.
    I will be installing a D plate ans sinsor Today at the lake, along with a free flow kit. I plan on taking the water box out for inspection to see if cat-con pieces are in it. Will also be adding a WaveEater kit to the power valves...... if you have not put on a WaveEater kit, you need to. My ski has 82 hrs..... What was the simtoms of the cat-con going bad? My ski runs great, then sometimes it looses power after 5,000 rpms, and blubbers along. I have been trying to figure this out since last summer....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by emcewin View Post

hi and welcome,

is this speed gps speed or dream-o-meter,i find it very hard to belive the d plate will slow you this much on top speed,
    as for you cavitation problem yes you will gain from a ppk but i dont think thats your problem,
    i would guess you have the same problem as my buddys 2000 gpr had,
    massive air leaks in from the pump area causing the excact problem at the almost same speed range,
    remove transom,prop ring,nozzle and seal and leave to cure with 4200 while your there for the extra 40 mins work i would set and seal pump shoe so you know you 100% good,its a PITA job but once you have done it right its done and move on.

SkiOnDaBrain
    Thanks for the ideas guys. No I don't have a GPS...just the stock dream-o-meter. But, I can definitely tell that it's not as fast on top end as before. I've read a lot about the possibility of pieces being in the waterbox. What is ppk? Sorry but i'm fairly new to these boards. To remove the waterbox, do I remove the battery? Is it below the battery? I also noticed that the throttle seems a tad loose and need to tighten that. I'm sure that could cause a loss in top speed as well. I'm planning to fix these things in the fall/winter and then buy a new Yamaha in the Spring. Maybe an SHO This was my first Summer to ever own a PWC and it was by far the best Summer of my life. It's in my blood now and I have to go fast!! Did I mention that the ladies love it??? The only problem is that now I need to buy 2 because I hate having someone on the back!

+1
    PPK=pump plug kit. Also, your on right about the throttle cable it is possible the carb butterflies are not opening all the way which could be your loss of speed. You may only be getting 3/4 throttle even though you have it pulled to the handlebar grip. You will need to remove the entire battery tray do get access the the water box.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 09-17-2007 at 04:20 PM.

SkiOnDaBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by stepjl View Post
    I will be installing a D plate ans sinsor Today at the lake, along with a free flow kit. I plan on taking the water box out for inspection to see if cat-con pieces are in it. Will also be adding a WaveEater kit to the power valves...... if you have not put on a WaveEater kit, you need to. My ski has 82 hrs..... What was the simtoms of the cat-con going bad? My ski runs great, then sometimes it looses power after 5,000 rpms, and blubbers along. I have been trying to figure this out since last summer....

When my cat con broke into pieces, I had no idea at the time that it happened. All of the sudden, it wouldn't accelerate as fast and the top speed was upper 40's. Occasionally it'd jump up to the 50's but it almost felt like I was running on 2 cylinders. I replaced the plugs and tried it again...no help. Then while riding the exhaust overheat alarm started buzzing. After reading these forums I pretty much pinpointed it to the cat.

It ran like a rocket before and now i'm excited about adding some new parts. With the exception of the D Plate, it's bone stock. This winter i'm going to get a pump plug kit, intake grate, solas prop, and rideplate. I'll also need to put some valve clips on it. It may have already been done but I can't take any chances with 100 hrs on it.

Thread Information