Thread: Cracking???

Question Cracking???

Hey im buying a brand new 06 rxp but have just heard a few roumers. I have no idea if they r true or any details about them. I head that due to the extra weight of the 4 strokes they are vulnerable to cracking, wheather this be in the hull or the engine mounts i dnt know. I also heard they are more vulnerable to shallow water damage? I dnt know what this may be but i was advised to get a yamaha gp1300r as it is less vulnerable to shallow water damage and cracking. Has anyone heard of this or even know what damage this person may have been talking about?
    Thanx any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Matt

stress cracks on the earlier models was a very slight issue. dont let that be your deciding factor. the amount of people who it has happened to is fractional

Shallow water damage?

Not sure, but all manufacturer's skis, get shallow water damage if you run them aground.......

Shallow water damage = pump sucking up stuff?

Maybe the extra power could make this the case?

Thanx guys. I didnt think this cracking whereever it may be would be a common issue. In terms of the shallow water damage i thought it must be something to do with sucking stuff up.
    If 3 foot is the minimum depth is that at higher speeds when the pump is naturally sucking more water or can u idle through shallower water because where I go there is a few sandbars when going down the channel towards the beach?
    Obviously ive never had a ski before so im just trying to get the obvious questions out of the way first. Im glad i asked the depth one because my inboard ski boat only neeeds about 2 foot of water so a 3 foot limit surprised me.
    Cheers
    Matt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Hey im buying a brand new 06 rxp but have just heard a few roumers. I have no idea if they r true or any details about them. I head that due to the extra weight of the 4 strokes they are vulnerable to cracking, wheather this be in the hull or the engine mounts i dnt know. I also heard they are more vulnerable to shallow water damage? I dnt know what this may be but i was advised to get a yamaha gp1300r as it is less vulnerable to shallow water damage and cracking. Has anyone heard of this or even know what damage this person may have been talking about?
    Thanx any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Matt
    1. You are suggesting a link between 4 strokes and hull fatigue from the weight of the engine. That is not an issue to my knowledge.

2. There have been several cases on here of RXP hulls "delaminating," but this seems to be rare. Use the search tool for more info. Nevertheless, if you plan on doing a LOT of ocean jumping you may encounter cracks with any brand or model. It is forbidden in the owner's manuals and excluded from warranty coverage. I know for a fact Honda and Yamaha hulls have ended up with spider cracks—it's not uncommon if you jump a lot.

3. The comment about shallow water damage; it's not the shallow water, it's hitting the bottom that causes the damage. I would say it is "possible" that RXP hulls are more problematic in this respect if they get a chip or ding and the hull delaminates on you later, but again this seems rare—do some research. I have not seen any RXT hulls here with delamination issues.

4. The GP1300R is a 2 stroke dinosaur; 2 strokes are being phased out of the industry and I would go with a 4 stroke any day... but that's just me.

+1
    Most of the RXP hull will exhibit stress cracking... it's common, normal, and not an issue. The delaminating is a problem but very rare.

The Sea-Doo RXP pump uses a plastic wear ring which is more prone to damage than the stainless steel that the Yamaha uses. The plastic wear ring is easy to replace, cheap, and performs better than the stainless steel.

Essentially the advice you were give was correct, but it's not a big deal. After essentially owning both (GP1200R is the same hull just older engine / pump design) I can tell you that the RXP is a better overall package. I've been VERY happy with mine and I'm now @ about 112 hours on the RXP and 310 on the GP1200R.

Thread Information