Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 SLT700 Starter Spinning but doesn't engage

I have a Polaris 1997 SLT700. Over the years I've had cranks rebuilt, a stator replaced, an engine rebuild, and not so long ago an engine replacement.

Here's my latest problem. The engine stalled, sounded a little noisy, and when trying to restart, I could hear the starting motor spinning, emitting the occassional rumble, but never engaging and turning over the engine. Having spent considerable $$$ on mechanics in the past, I'm having a difficult time sinking any more money in this, so I'd like to give this a go myself.

First of all, I'd like to solicit an opinion on the problem. I'm guessing starter drive, starting motor, or something in that department. Fearing the engine may have seized, I tried spinning the shaft, and that appears to turn very freely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'd like to find a service manual for this. I've checked out Clymer and one other(Soloc??), but I'm understanding the manufacturers manual to be the best. Any idea where I might source one of these.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj00 View Post
    First of all, I'd like to solicit an opinion on the problem. I'm guessing starter drive, starting motor, or something in that department. Fearing the engine may have seized, I tried spinning the shaft, and that appears to turn very freely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'd like to find a service manual for this. I've checked out Clymer and one other(Soloc??), but I'm understanding the manufacturers manual to be the best. Any idea where I might source one of these.
    Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Here is a free manual that is posted in the Tech section.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24786

My guess is a bad starter bendix.

Next step...

Wow..thanks for the prompt reply. So, I guess my next step is to source a starter bendix, and figure out the procedure to replace. I'll print the document you referenced and see if I can make sense of this.

Thanks again,
    Jim

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk,And your local Polaris addicts club. Time to start saving money for more beer (UH,I mean flowers for the wife) Could you get a video of the sound,It helps sometimes to be able to hear it. What bothers me is, have you've ever had it stall like that before?Maybe dealing with a couple of problem.

+1
    sounds like a starter bendix.

pull the front cover, and inspect.

i have some good bedix's if you need.

help

Pull the front cover....not sure what you mean. Excuse the ignorance, I'm very new to this, but I guess I need to start somewhere. Are you referring to a cover over the starting motor? Looks like I need to remove the exhaust sytem to get at that?

Also, what's a rough cost on a used bendix?

Thanks,
    Jim

You need to pull the front magneto cover off of the motor, towards the front of the boat. It being an SLT, there should be plenty of room to do this. When you get that front cover off, you will see the flywheel. The starter bendix will be low, on the left (port) side of the motor. Watch for the thrust washers on either side of the bendix. The bendix will pull right out towards the front of the boat. More than likely its you're problem. Also, check to make sure the flywheel nut is tight.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Here's what the front cover look like..except blue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43600111.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	39026  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj00 View Post
    Pull the front cover....not sure what you mean. Excuse the ignorance, I'm very new to this, but I guess I need to start somewhere. Are you referring to a cover over the starting motor? Looks like I need to remove the exhaust sytem to get at that?

Also, what's a rough cost on a used bendix?

Thanks,
    Jim
    no worries jim. thats what we are all here for. these guys have already described the front cover pretty good.

i would strongly recomend getting a shop manual for you ski though, if you are unfamiliar with it. if you do not want to buy one, you "may" beable to get one at you local library.

i have good bendix drives here for 50.00 + s&h if you need.

good luck.

zig

Shop Manual 97 SLT700

Thanks to everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

I'd like to purchase on OMC service manual. Can someone direct me to where I might find one. I've seen them for sale and download as a pdf, but could not find one for my boat. I checked with my local dealer, and I'm told it could be several months before they could get me one.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information