Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Stage 1 questions

My name is Erik Pfeifer and have not introduced myself to this site yet even though I have been reading all the helpful threads you guys have for about the past 3 months. I am a recent collage graduate and bought my first ski in july (07 RXP 215). After about a week of reading I bought the stage 1 kit. Finnaly got the gps out last night and ran the following at 85 outside temp, 66 water and light chop, half tank.

First run : 68.3
    Second run : 69.4

Keep in mind I only have the stage 1 kit and nothing else. I have read about others with low stats like this but though I would still through it out for disscusion. I know there are other this I could do like fill the holes and instull OPAS block offs but I guess I'm a little dissapointed either way. Any input is appreciated. Also, where is the tread that lists the speeds and associated parts. I just want to be in the 70 club according to the GPS.

Banned User
    +1
    Welcome to the forum...

Don't be dissappoint, those are good numbers for that weather....

For starters, we need to know what RPM's you were running to get those speeds. Because a 1mph difference means you had 2 different rpm's going...This will determine if you need to pitch your prop to get the rpm's right...

Plus rider position and trim settings can also change your top end...

Next, have you upgraded the metal washers yet? That is a MUST for any SC'd ski...
    Last edited by Danny; 09-18-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Next time out I will get the RPM's and I believe I was in the sweet spot for trim (I could feel the difference, just over half trim) and no I do not have the metal washers but they will be ordered. What parts do you think I should buy if I want consistant lower 70's.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifere View Post
    Next time out I will get the RPM's and I believe I was in the sweet spot for trim (I could feel the difference, just over half trim) and no I do not have the metal washers but they will be ordered. What parts do you think I should buy if I want consistant lower 70's.

RPM's are gonna determine where you are right now, that is key....we'll help you from there...

Your ski should be doing at least 70-71 with what you got. I suggest getting ure ski dialed in right with what u got right now then go from there. Dont just start adding more and more stuff to go faster because then ure just gona have a ton of lost speed that will be even harder to find because of everything you added. Just because you have a stage one olny doing 69 doesnt mean thats all its got. Fill the holes, true the grate to the ride plate, Maybe even swap a wear ring out along with pitching your prop accoridnly to get 8100 on the tach then go from there........ Im willing to bet money that you can do 70 or more with just pitching the prop i bet ure rpm's are down big time

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    Your ski should be doing at least 70-71 with what you got. I suggest getting ure ski dialed in right with what u got right now then go from there. Dont just start adding more and more stuff to go faster because then ure just gona have a ton of lost speed that will be even harder to find because of everything you added. Just because you have a stage one olny doing 69 doesnt mean thats all its got. Fill the holes, true the grate to the ride plate, Maybe even swap a wear ring out along with pitching your prop accoridnly to get 8100 on the tach then go from there........ Im willing to bet money that you can do 70 or more with just pitching the prop i bet ure rpm's are down big time

he could be at 7900 for all we know, when that sucker hits 8100 look out...

Also, do you still have the front air intake on? The one that starts from the triangle opening under the storage compartment and runs tot he front of the ski ? if so, REMOVE THE ELBOW portion...is restrictive...
    Last edited by Danny; 09-18-2007 at 04:36 PM.

So do you just apoxy the holes and sand them flush, also what do you mean by "true the grate to the ride plate"?. Also, I did remove the front air intake. Thanks for the help so far guys. This site rocks!!

Banned User
    +1
    So do you just apoxy the holes and sand them flush, also what do you mean by "true the grate to the ride plate"?. Also, I did remove the front air intake. Thanks for the help so far guys. This site rocks!!

Filling the holes is just that, filling the holes.....Start by protecting the bolt heads by placing somethign around it, such as some nylon rope...or in my case, a bunch of Right Stuff RTV sealant...I followed this up with 3/4 washers placed in the holes. The RTV holds the washers in place......ONce dry, us a basic 2-part epoxy. Any auto store hor home depot would have it, its comes in a tube, you cut a chunk off and knead the 2 parts together...Place it into the hole, makeing sure to OVER FILL it a little (no divit)...When it is drying, use something flat to make it as flush as possible...when its dry, sand until smooth.....

As for the intake grate, you want to do the same...Eliminate the edges between the grate and the ride plate, and smae thing with the mounting bolts....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    he could be at 7900 for all we know, when that sucker hits 8100 look out...

Also, do you still have the front air intake on? The one that starts from the triangle opening under the storage compartment and runs tot he front of the ski opposite the battery? if so, REMOVE THE ELBOW portion...is restrictive...
    Danny is the bellow portion ure talking about the part that comes down by the Battery?

How much gas did you have in it when you took your GPS readings?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information