Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

RXT Riva Mods QUESTIONS...

Considering a few lite mods to the RXT's... looking at the Riva Stage 1,
    first question:

"RIVA RXT O.P.A.S. Competition Kit is installed. Kit provides more predictable handling characteristics while still retaining the off-throttle steering benefits of the O.P.A.S. by preventing the fins from dropping when pump is out of the water in choppy conditions."

These are basically plastic clips that keep the fins from dropping all the time right? ...so how does it retain the off-throttle steering benefits of the O.P.A.S? In order to assist with off-throttle steering don't they need to be down? Seems like a contradicton, maybe I don't understand how the O.P.A.S. works...

http://www.rivamotorsports.com/pwc_p...t_stg1_kit.asp

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Considering a few lite mods to the RXT's... looking at the Riva Stage 1,
    first question:

"RIVA RXT O.P.A.S. Competition Kit is installed. Kit provides more predictable handling characteristics while still retaining the off-throttle steering benefits of the O.P.A.S. by preventing the fins from dropping when pump is out of the water in choppy conditions."

These are basically plastic clips that keep the fins from dropping all the time right? ...so how does it retain the off-throttle steering benefits of the O.P.A.S? In order to assist with off-throttle steering don't they need to be down? Seems like a contradicton, maybe I don't understand how the O.P.A.S. works...

http://www.rivamotorsports.com/pwc_p...t_stg1_kit.asp
    Every so slightly......

At slow speeds youwill definitely notice a difference in the handling (for the worse)

Riding in chop you will definitely notice a difference in the handling (for the better)

What drove me crazy with the RXT was when in the mildest of chop the fins would drop and upon reentry would cause a jerking feeling.

With them up handling at slow speeds is definitely impeded but the handling at speeds above 20 is much better.

yeah PVC works

The opas works as two extra rudders that help you steer at low speeds. On the RXT the fins move up and down with speed. At lower speeds they are in the higher position because the hull is sitting lower in the water. At higher speeds they drop down to maintain contact with the water as the hull comes further out of the water. What the OPAS competition kit does is it keeps the fins in the up position and out of the water to reduce the "drag" that they cause. This produces slight gains in MPH.

+1
    Hey bruinsrme what's up bro...
    are you still ridin the RXT, did you have the Riva stage 1?
    Anyone got an RXT with stage 1 kit, FESS UP... I want the good the bad and the FUGLY...

+1
    04RXP22 yep that's EXACTLY the way I understood it but how can Riva make the claim you see in my post above as shown on the link to their sight in my post ...how can they claim it "retains the off-throttle steering benefits of the O.P.A.S?" Seems to me you LOSE this benefit not retain it?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04RXP22 View Post
    ...At lower speeds they are in the higher position because the hull is sitting lower in the water. At higher speeds they drop down to maintain contact with the water as the hull comes further out of the water...
    Though I can see how this would be a logical assumption, it actually works the other way. The fins are down at idle for more low speed control (and some deceleration turning ability) and up at any speed off idle because they are not needed as much at high speed.

I personally have not figured that out. I have ridden my RXP more than any of the RXT's. I say just take them off. Once you start modding they will become more of a problem than a benefit. The only people who seem to keep the mods on are the ones racing on courses, when the extra fins give you better turns. If you are just looking to go fast and have fun, take them off.

+1
    Because w/ the Riva kit you don't completely remove the OPAS fins, so even in the "up" position they can assist in steering the ski in an off throttle situation. Pretty sure that's where their claim comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Hey bruinsrme what's up bro...
    are you still ridin the RXT, did you have the Riva stage 1?
    Anyone got an RXT with stage 1 kit, FESS UP... I want the good the bad and the FUGLY...
    Just hanging out. Don't ahve to be back to work until Nov 15th.
    I am currently gathering parts for the RXT.
    Looking for a thru the hull set up. passed on a couple
    Have an intercooler, new prop, upgraded the SC with green and ceramics, have groco filter, and a couple other things.
    Trying to pick up others refuse. Have to keep things on the cheap.
    Will probably do the homemade 4" intake.

have been riding a few times a week so the upgrading progress is slow.

Get those OPAS fins up.
    I believe on the RXT the fins are a 3 position system. As soon as the pump unhooks the fins drop like a rock. The them up then hull entry is much smoother. I saw about a .8 MPH gain putting them up.

I will be removing the OPAS once I get the block offs, hopefully next week...

Scott

+1
    There is nothing but good news with a stage I RXT. If you want better news use a 4" intake instead of the Riva power filter kit.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information