Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gettin Amped on an Ultra

Snuck out early today to get in a 90 minute ride before the sun set. About 45 minutes in, the wind started whippin up whitecaps. I just sat back and cranked it. Hit a wave hard and went dead in the water. No power at all. I was about 400 yards offshore in a small strait btwn an island and Key Peninsula. I did a mental checklist of my safety gear. Brought my orange telescoping paddle, and my Vessel Assist Gold Card, good. But, no cell phone! Not so good. And the wind and waves were pickin up, and its gonna start gettin dark soon.

I paddled to shore, pulled everything out of the bow and checked the battery leads. Sure nuff, the neg battery wire had lost its screw and come loose.

I was standin in about 5 feet of salt water. Couldnt beach the boat cuz the shore was real rocky and the waves and wind wouldve batterred the hull. So I was leanin into the bow compartment, boat rockin like crazy, tryin to screw down the neg wire with wet hands. Ive got some good qualities but manual dexterity is not on the list. So, sparks jumped off the lead and I felt a tingle in my forearm. This never happened in my garage. A bulb flashed dimly. I'm standing in salt water playing with electrical equipment. Maybe not too smart. But then I am wearing thick rubber boots so maybe its ok. Well cant do much else so after a few moments of discomfort, I got the terminal on and motored home just as it was getting dark.

So, this is what Ive been thinkin about:

1) Always carry a cell phone;
    2) Always carry a telescoping paddle;
    3) Consider getting an electrostimulation unit to wear on my arms while I sleep because after 1 season of ridin I still dont got no guns;
    4) Ask the guys whether its safe to fool with the battery while you are standing in salt water (and does it matter whether you are wearing rubber boots) and why would the battery spark in this situation but not on dry land?

+1

Thats gotta mean something...maybe, what was this guy thinkin?...but its only 12 volts... what I know about electricity I learned in 9th grade physics class...but I didnt do that great in that class...but I can do a 4shot espresso no problem...

Power on

The key must have been on to spark. If you are wet and in water rubber boots won't help. 12 can tickle you a little , but i have never heard of it killing anyone. Mike

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Uhhh try again Sam. 12 Volts CAN kill you. Keep in mind, it is not the voltage that kills you, it is the Amperage. A normal jet ski batter can put out 500 Amps. It only takes .3 Amps to kill you.

Keep an insulated screwdrive in you storage box.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    Keep in mind, it is not the voltage that kills you, it is the Amperage. It only takes .3 Amps to kill you.

Exactly and might be good to check before you ride.

That must have sucked....i've got this image in my head getting slammed by the waves....You need a riding partner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    Uhhh try again Sam. 12 Volts CAN kill you. Keep in mind, it is not the voltage that kills you, it is the Amperage. A normal jet ski batter can put out 500 Amps. It only takes .3 Amps to kill you.

Yea it doesn't take many amps to kill you. But, if god doesn't think it's your time then your all good lol

But I am curious why the you were being shocked. usually there is minimal spark when hooking up the negative lead last.

As far as sparks, don't forget to put a dryer sheet in when you are doing laundry....Your shirt will LOVE to static cling to the ski when your trying to fuel it....Quite scary event that day lol...

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    ok, where's yoyamma when you need him with the explosion pics!

Yeah, I was puzzled why the sparking never happened on land. I didnt know the sequence of hooking up the leads made a difference. You guys see the "don't tase me bro" clip of that guy at the John Kerry speech? I think those Tasers and stun guns can run off a dinky little battery pack but still pack a wallop. I'm assuming that they produce much higher amperage than the Yuasa tho. I was using the all metal screwdriver from the tool kit so I'm going to carry an insulated screw driver as suggested. I normally do check those leads all the time before I go out, but the 1 time I didnt...Thats another good reason I guess EShkr for your easy plug battery tender as it avoids constantly pulling the battery out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information