98 XPL Hood Shock cracks engine cover frame

Is there a known problem with the 98 XPL Hood shock? The underside of my engine cover cracked where it is supported.

Was this fixed in later years (199-2002) and if so what was changed? What are some common fixes for this problem?

Heres mine ,
    Mine cracked after 18 months from new . It actually delaminated first and then I just kept using it and it started to rip and tear the hood lining next to the support area .So I removed the hinge bolts ( if bolts are salt locked apply some heat with a propane torch small) and then bent the hood over forward of the bow and exposed the cracked area .then i roughed up the area using sandpaper and files.I wedged the delaminated parts apart with small screwdrivers and applied the resin as per the pictures (PART A ) then removed screwdrivers and made sure both laminates are together.
    Then I got some aluminium sheet about 1mm thick and cut pieces as per the pictures and drilled holes in it to accept the pop rivetts. I applied the resin first and then pop rivetted the aluminium on to the hood.

Then I applied another coat of resin over the aluminium and rivetts to bind it all together.

Then I poured a heap of resin right at the front of the hood (the area directly behind the hinge knuckle) Marked with a X so as to give the whole front area a rigid structure.
    The stuff I used is as per the picture (not fibreglass resin as this will not bond to the hood, been their done that and had to do it all again.

When I moved the hood forward and upside down of the bow I hung the handlebars up with a rope so as expose all the area to work on and so the resin just flows with gravity.

I have done this over 7 years ago and since then I raced C/C for 5 years and after that have jumped waves 10-15ft with it and it looks fine to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO120.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	39111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO121.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	446.7 KB 
ID:	39112  

Thank you for all the help. Was this issue ever resolved in later XPLs or is it endemic to all of them?

Long Island NY

98 Xpl Hood Cracks

I had the same thing happen to my 99XPL. I basically did the same repair that Trevsy discribes with minor mod, use the West System thickening power to make the resin hold better and not run. I removed the hindges and made an aluminum plate that fit the complete front area. I punched holes where the hindge bolts attach to the hood, then rivited the plate in place. 3 months now and holding fine. It took about 1 day to repair. Hoods on Ebay are out of control and there is no guarentee they won't crack again.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    My 2000 didn't have any problems, but I never raced it CC. It had less than 75 hours on it too before a ski launched off it's hood. It's broke now...

Thread Information