Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

cleaning engine after salt riding

hey guys what is the recommended way of removing salt build up in the engine bay?

is it safe to spray with water?

i ride 100% in salt water. there are always decent salty deposits all over engine and components. i have been rinsing with water, letting it dry out for 24hrs, then coating everything in bombardier lube or lanox.

i have had a problem in the past with the burning out of a valve, due to water in the system. dealer said it was coming thru air intake (stock), storing in intercooler, then running thru into engine. not sure if they were right or just didn't want to cover under warranty.

I run an 06 RXT, with
    A kit impeller
    Piranha intercooler
    Piranha exhaust
    opas block offs
    13/18 skat
    All above installed before valve burnout
    les cooke fogging kit (only installed after valve problem)

Dealer blamed performance intercooler, but when i said i'd change it back to stock intercooler, they said i don't need to????

now my mate 07 RXP (stock), is spluttering and water was found around plugs too.... he does similar process & riding conditions same

Hey C DOO, I ride 100% Salt as well. I ride an 06 RXT (Stock) and follow the same process.

I hose down generously inside, run the engine and flush exhaust, then tip the ski on the trailer and allow to drain and dry. Then I drench it all in Lanox and store with the seat off.

I have never had a problem.

I'm not sure how your mate is getting water around the plugs, but I have found running it after the wash down dries it all pretty well.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Jetsam; 09-20-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Jetsam,

I too am about to running in 100% salt water and I'm reading and learning what is the very best procedure for after ride maintenance. I've ordered the salt-away flush kit and product however the spraying water into the engine compartment each time has my attention. For obvious reasons of water into the electrical and plugs etc. has me wondering. Are these new machines that well sealed against any issues caused from this. Is there precautions to take and places or things to avoid?

Any expansion of details on the subject from you or others is greatly appreciated.

Scottyj

07 SC RXP/RXT
    steel washers

its ok to spray a generous amout of spray on the engine and in the bay, it will not hurt the ski. let dry without the seat though. i also bomba lube after i wash down the ski and engine with salt terminator

+1
    I wash the engine bay off with water and a mild automotive soap through a spray bottle. then rub it down with a sponge to make sure all the salts off.. Once im down I rinse off with a mist spray and then I dry it with my wetdry vac in reverse blowing air or my garden blower, Then I spray it down with Wd40 or other lubricant, then I blow out the fumes with the air vac again and wait 30 mins before storing.. works for mee Rust free engine bay...

Good luck

The detergent is also a good idea as you will find a repelant nature of the Anti Rust sprays can build up over time.

I do a couple of things, after every 5 rides and cleaning process I do a complete degrease of the engine bay and rinse then re coat with the Anti rust spray, I use a lanoline based product. It tends to look after the rubber hoses really well.

The other thing to do is pour some warm soapy water (Make sure it is biodegradable detergent ) into the hull before you tow the ski to the boat ramp. This acts like a washing machine in the bottom of your hull and keeps under the engine nice and clean. Pull the drain plugs and let it drain either as you ride or at the ramp. (Got that tip from an Aussie website, works a treat)

These little things will keep rust at bay from under your seats and increase your resale and reduce your risk of failures.

Don't forget to pull the cover from the inside of your storage (not applicable to RXP) compartment and spray the hood ram and mounts.
    Take the glove box out and spray heaps on your cable mounts, fuel tank clamps and other fittings under there.

Look after it and it will look after you, particularly if you ride in the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsam View Post
    The detergent is also a good idea as you will find a repelant nature of the Anti Rust sprays can build up over time.

I do a couple of things, after every 5 rides and cleaning process I do a complete degrease of the engine bay and rinse then re coat with the Anti rust spray, I use a lanoline based product. It tends to look after the rubber hoses really well.

The other thing to do is pour some warm soapy water (Make sure it is biodegradable detergent ) into the hull before you tow the ski to the boat ramp. This acts like a washing machine in the bottom of your hull and keeps under the engine nice and clean. Pull the drain plugs and let it drain either as you ride or at the ramp. (Got that tip from an Aussie website, works a treat)

These little things will keep rust at bay from under your seats and increase your resale and reduce your risk of failures.

Don't forget to pull the cover from the inside of your storage (not applicable to RXP) compartment and spray the hood ram and mounts.
    Take the glove box out and spray heaps on your cable mounts, fuel tank clamps and other fittings under there.

Look after it and it will look after you, particularly if you ride in the ocean.

wow 215 bhp washing macine "good tip"
    love to see DAZ use this in an advert

dont forget to greese those trailor bearings

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Got salt? - I don't

All of you guys ride in salt and i cannot recommend highly enough that you all shoot "Dano50" a pm with your shipping address to receive a free sample of Fluid Film - no obligation except to simply try it out for free. Dano50 is the Fluid Film mfg rep.

Fluid Film was originally designed for Navy ship's ballast tanks in WWII to prevent corrosion/rust inside from the salt water being pumped in and out.
    The product exceeds mil spec and has a national stock number to boot.
    Here's some tech data: http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/about/tech_data.html

After you decide that you like it and want to buy, just shoot me a pm. I'm set up with Paypal and ship daily. You won't get a better deal than through me since you're a GH member like myself.

Check out what peeps say about it that use it:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12282
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38982
    From a member enlisted in the Coast Guard:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost...4&postcount=11

Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    All of you guys ride in salt and i cannot recommend highly enough that you all shoot "Dano50" a pm with your shipping address to receive a free sample of Fluid Film - no obligation except to simply try it out for free. Dano50 is the Fluid Film mfg rep.
    PM Sent.

Hey Cdoo We Have Met On The Trip Up Ti Hillaries, Just Letting You Know I Spoke With Les The Other Day And He Couldnt Stress More Not To Hose The Engine Down, However I Do Because I Hate Salt Build Up And Sand Just Thought I'd Let You Know Of His Comments As He Knows His Shit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information