+1

I need a lesson in I/C functionality

So the intercooler uses outside water to cool and if you're riding in salt water what is needed or should this be avoided if at all possible? Not sure on longevity, products out there to clean and flushing recommendations. And the new X, anything different about this I/C or are they all susceptible to corrosion or other issues with cooling water contents?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    So the intercooler uses outside water to cool and if you're riding in salt water what is needed or should this be avoided if at all possible? Not sure on longevity, products out there to clean and flushing recommendations. And the new X, anything different about this I/C or are they all susceptible to corrosion or other issues with cooling water contents?

The IC uses lake water to cool the core of the IC, which the hot air charge from the SC passes through...thus transferring heat and delivering a cooler, denser air charge into the motor...this creates more power.

Flush with FRESH water after riding in salt water IMMEDIATELY. Any salt water left in the system will corrode metal when left alone...All metal, even the new X model, is susceptible to salt water...They should all be flushed with fresh water after riding...

This ALSO includes opening the engine compartment and spraying some water in there, to flush out the salt (avoid engine openings)...then spray a mist of WD40 or Bombardier lube and/or equivilant. This provides a protective barrier on all exposed metal surfaces and wires....Store with seats open to vent air out...

+1
    That is a perfect explanation - thanks so much Danny! So one more question, you pull the ski out of the salt water onto the trailer where you have no way to flush...start up the engine just to rid the water in the pump and the trip home you should be okay for that short while or is it eventually going to be the end-all to the I/C? By the way, has anyone had serious corrosion in an I/C just to establish a timeframe? I guess the oldest would be around '04 for the external I/C or perhaps earlier with some race applications...but then again they are more likely to get the royal treatment immediately following a venue.

Banned User
    +1
    That is a perfect explanation - thanks so much Danny! So one more question, you pull the ski out of the salt water onto the trailer where you have no way to flush...start up the engine just to rid the water in the pump and the trip home you should be okay for that short while or is it eventually going to be the end-all to the I/C? By the way, has anyone had serious corrosion in an I/C just to establish a timeframe? I guess the oldest would be around '04 for the external I/C or perhaps earlier with some race applications...but then again they are more likely to get the royal treatment immediately following a venue.

usually once the water is allowed to evaporate and leave salt deposits, thats when it corrodes...if you can flush within 24 hours, then you should be good...if not, hit a marina, gas station, car wash, SOME PLACE and rince...Or dump it in a fresh water launch and start it up on the trailer for 2 minutes while dumping cups of fresh water in the hull...

+1
    i ride mine in salt and dont flush the only time i flushed it, was when the weed out of a loch filled it up and caused low water to the exhaust, so i had high temp warnings, i removed the intercooler and put caustic soda in it and watched all the weed die, followed by a 1500psi jetwash thru the cooler, while the costic was in it looked like old ged hillbillys crude bubbling up, when it was done i lost all the small vains which restrict the flow, so now its mint, it has more flow, iv'e done 45 hours in the sea with no probs, the only thing i'm after next is a turbo to make this thing talk,

+1
    Great info guys...muchos appreciatos! What's the deal with Salt Away or some product like that? Sounds costly to use in quantity.

+1
    Great info guys...muchos appreciatos! What's the deal with Salt Away or some product like that? Sounds costly to use in quantity.
    just ride the thing salt has no problem with these crafts

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskibill9999 View Post
    when it was done i lost all the small vains which restrict the flow, so now its mint, it has more flow,
    Those small vanes ae what is used to transfer heat and provide cooling...thats like removing the fin from your radiator.......you're loosing performance...

but if thats the way you ride, go ahead....

just ride the thing salt has no problem with these crafts

Thats why you are loosing fins.....you are also degrading internals in your exhaust manifold and exhaust system.....that thing ain't gonna last uch longer.......

Doctor says "Halt salt"

i ride mine in salt and dont flush the only time i flushed it, was when the weed out of a loch filled it up and caused low water to the exhaust, so i had high temp warnings, i removed the intercooler and put caustic soda in it and watched all the weed die, followed by a 1500psi jetwash thru the cooler, while the costic was in it looked like old ged hillbillys crude bubbling up, when it was done i lost all the small vains which restrict the flow, so now its mint, it has more flow, iv'e done 45 hours in the sea with no probs, the only thing i'm after next is a turbo to make this thing talk,
    id say thats a real bad idea bill ,salt water kills ic"S and riva seems to suffer more than most ,id say u r on borrowed time

Thread Information