Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

side draft manifold?

I came across a side draft for the ski. I noticed in other pics of skis with the side draft manifold that the carbs have been turned so the throttle shafts are vertical. My Full Spectrum's are all connected and the throttle shafts would run horizontal.

Now I read somewhere that if you are running the on-board pumps and running the shafts horizontal that it can cause the pumps to operate incorrectly and cause a lean issue. I'm not too sure how much truth is in this, but I am running 2 external hi-volume Mikuni pumps with a separator and restrictor so I think that will eliminate that issue.

Anyone have any experience with side drafts and carb mounting?

Somebody has to be running a side draft setup. Are your carbs mounted with the throttle shafts horizontal or vertical? Are you running on-board or remote pumps?

+1
    GP1200R's came with side drafts and shafts are vertical. There are several people that run the SBN type carbs on their GPR's and mount them vertical also. The #1 issue to watch out for with these is water ingestion make sure you have a dry hull and run water socks on the F/A's.

+1
    Bill, I think he is working on a GP and that is why no one has answered his question (He never mentioned what he is working on).

To answer your question, I am sure that it can be done with the correct throttle cable and maybe a home made bracket for the carb end of the cable. The throttle shafts on the EFI GPRs are horizontal, carb throttle shafts are vertical.

+1
    Jeff, I was just trying to give Rob some basic info on side draft conversion, I know he has a an older GP I have sold him some parts for it and had many conversations with him. I am still trying to find the article I read on why it was necessary to run vertical shafts vs horizontal when you convert to side draft. My understanding was there is an isuue with the accelerator side when leaving it in the down position. I believe I read an article at GroupK on this and was just looking for it. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    GP1200R's came with side drafts and shafts are vertical. There are several people that run the SBN type carbs on their GPR's and mount them vertical also. The #1 issue to watch out for with these is water ingestion make sure you have a dry hull and run water socks on the F/A's.
    My hull runs really dry. I ride lots in lakes so it doesn't get any water in it generally. And I will get some of those water socks for my F/A's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    Jeff, I was just trying to give Rob some basic info on side draft conversion, I know he has a an older GP I have sold him some parts for it and had many conversations with him. I am still trying to find the article I read on why it was necessary to run vertical shafts vs horizontal when you convert to side draft. My understanding was there is an isuue with the accelerator side when leaving it in the down position. I believe I read an article at GroupK on this and was just looking for it. Any thoughts on this?
    Nope, sorry. The only PWC experience I have is with the GPR's and ZXI's.

Where could I get the linkage needed to run the shafts vertical?

Do you have the riva side draft? I have one of these and I've always wondered how to set it up. On my riva manifold you have the option of running the carbs vertical or horizontal. I'm interested in the info here too. I had this intake forever and always wanted to run it. I think you can get the linkage from mikuni or look it up on the origional parts finder and order the linkage from the stock gp set up.

Yeah I'm just browsing the hot products catalogue and they have all the parts in there also.

I don't believe it is the Riva manifold, I think it is a Jet? If that makes sense...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information