Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Results: S150 w/XS IC, 42lb injectors, 14/19r

Recently installed the XS Power intercooler and 42lb injectors, and installed a 14/19 today that had already been repitched +1.5mm. I'm very happy with the results and disappointed at the same time. The thing accelerates like mad; on holeshot, the front end of the boat lifts so far, you'd think it'd flip...it is exhilarating to say the least. A little disappointed though, because I thought I was going to be a lot closer to 60mph on the top end. I averaged 57.5. My stock boat was doing 57 in the coolest part of the year (65 degrees), but dropped to 55.5 in the heat, then up to 56.5 with the SC impeller wheel. So, I've gained 1mph with the SC wheel, and just another 1mph with the intercooler/injectors. It's a slow crawl to the top in these boats! I know I'll be touching 59mph this winter in Florida with cooler water and a repitch, but feel like it would take an ECU swap to solidly be over 60. I probably should have gone with the 15/20 prop, but a bit afraid of killing my acceleration.

2007 Speedster 150 SCIC (half tank gas, no passengers)
    Performance mods: Green SC impeller, XS Power intercooler, 42lb injectors, custom fresh air intake, Solas Concord 14/19 +1.5mm (rideplate holes filled, but netted nothing)
    Altitude: 130' above sea level
    Air temp: 85F
    Water temp: 84F (down from 90+)
    Boost: hovers between 8.5 and 9.0 @ 8120rpms
    Average top speed (GPS): 57.5mph @ 8120rpms

Makes me think getting my C180 to run 55 would be near impossible without serious money.

clpsuite,
    yep you are correct it would cost alot of money to make a 180 go 55, but far from unobtainium. I think if I had VX1s goodies on mine I would be at 55 easy.
    I think VX1s problem is as he said, he should have gone with a 15/20.

VX1,
    I wonder if your losing top speed from driveshft misalignment?
    When I first got my 180 it was a real slug compared to another 180 on my lake. I also had a vibration at anything above 3,000 RPM's. After bugging my dealer enough they finally checked the pump alignment to find it was so far off that it required removal of the pump support and installation of a new one. BRP quality control sucks!!!
    After my dealer had the engine shimmed properly, and the pump support aligned to it I saw between 4 and 5 MPH increase.
    I believe Jerry did this to his ski and saw signifiicant improvement as well.

+1
    What are your RPM's? They need to be around 8100 with flashes of 8150.

Also with bigger RXT ski's the prop is different, and a in a boat?? WOW!so what made you get a 14-19R?

What type of air intake do you have? Any pics? It needs to get as much cold air as it can.

+1
    I am not a SD boat expert, but if you are running the rpms listed in your sig (8120) with a 14/19 4 blade Solas with trailing edge of + 1.5mm, you need to ditch the 14/19 and put in a 15/20. You might need to pull out 1mm, but maybe not ... but usually the 15/20 will add at least 1 mph, often more if you have the HP to pull it.

I think if I had VX1s goodies on mine I would be at 55 easy.
    I think VX1s problem is as he said, he should have gone with a 15/20.
    Remember I've only gained 2 or 3 mph with all my mods, and that's with a 14/19 pitched higher. I would only expect .5 to 1mph gain with the 15/20 (which I will get at some point; I'm sure the 15/20 will make a perfect winter prop). The C180 even has more weight and hull drag to deal with. If you can't tell, I understand the mod bug, and I don't want to discourage anyone from modding- trust me, I don't regret it. I just hope I'm helping to set some realistic expectations, because with the different forces involved, you can't expect to see as high of an increase with a mod done to a boat, as the same mod done to a ski. Add 50 horsepower to a Civic and it will fly, add 50 horsepower to a tank and you'll never notice the difference. Obviously the boat is not a tank, but you get my point.

I wonder if your losing top speed from driveshft misalignment?
    Anything's possible, but I was 57mph stock at the beginning of the year, so that tells me I've got a decently strong boat. I was also very careful installing the front mount, that engine did not move a hair!

What are your RPM's? They need to be around 8100 with flashes of 8150.
    Average top speed (GPS): 57.5mph @ 8120rpms

Also with bigger RXT ski's the prop is different, and a in a boat?? WOW!so what made you get a 14-19R?
    It was that the 13/18 was perfect when I was closer to stock, so now that I'm pulling more horsepower, the 14/19 is the next logical step up. The 14/19 is working very well for now, it just missing a hair of speed on top.

What type of air intake do you have? Any pics? It needs to get as much cold air as it can.
    I have THE air intake to end all air intakes. It took alot of effort and testing of many different designs, but I ended up with a 4" Flow-rite on each side of the boat, each feeding 5" tubes (one feeds the original stock intake) that merge together in a 4" tube going to the supercharger. It features tubes to catch any water intrusion. All but the last picture is before the IC install:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000449.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	39215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000651.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	39216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New intake port.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	39217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New intake starboard.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	39218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS IC 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	390.7 KB 
ID:	39219  
    Last edited by VX1; 09-20-2007 at 05:02 PM.

The C180 even has more weight and hull drag to deal with. If you can't tell, I understand the mod bug, and I don't want to discourage anyone from modding- trust me, I don't regret it. I just hope I'm helping to set some realistic expectations, because with the different forces involved, you can't expect to see as high of an increase with a mod done to a boat, as the same mod done to a ski. Add 50 horsepower to a Civic and it will fly, add 50 horsepower to a tank and you'll never notice the difference. Obviously the boat is not a tank, but you get my point.
    The C180 is only around 500 lbs heavier than a sportster with slightly more hull as well. Add two adults the size of me to a sportster and there is almost your difference. How much speed do two big dudes take from your boat? I would guess 2 or 3 MPH as I used to own a sportster 155 and that was my experience with it.

I am also not convinced that weight has anything to do with prop selection. I believe it is the horsepower that would dictate a specific prop setup. (Yes we had this discussion before). I can load 6 people total in my boat and it still hits the same rpm going WOT from a dead stop as it does with only me aboard, although it comes outa the hole alot slower. It is still pushing the same amount of water through the pump but the drag is greater so everything is relative.

I guess I am luckier in some respects for boating in a cooler environment cause modifications seem to make a bigger difference for me than some.

The C180 is only around 500 lbs heavier
    That's significant, anyway you look at it.

How much speed do two big dudes take from your boat? I would guess 2 or 3 MPH
    I would say I lose at least 2mph for for each extra 200lbs. That's the main reason I mod. The boat was plenty fast stock with just me in it, but with two or three extra people, it was a slug. My goal was to get the boat as fast, fully loaded with people, as it used to be with just me... so I can scare the hell out of 'em.

I am also not convinced that weight has anything to do with prop selection.
    OK... but if that's the case, BRP could have saved some coin by just using the same prop across their entire line of 215hp craft.

...cause modifications seem to make a bigger difference for me than some.
    How do you know until you start? Other than a replacement prop, you've only added a filter to the end of the stock intake hose. But, yes, running in cold water will make your boat and mods more efficient than in a warmer climate. 65 or 70 degrees at 57mph is my limit though.
    Last edited by VX1; 09-20-2007 at 06:51 PM.

I think Something is definitely wrong with your pump impeller....the 14/19R, when untouched (not pitched) usually boost the top end to almost +4 mph on a SCIC Jetboat, so if i where you, i'd put back the 14/19R to OEM spec, and check for misalignement somewhere, or ride plate to be leveled with the hull....there is somthing in your set-up not working properly i think...you should be already at 60 mph with the parts you installed...

LEt us know the outcome. But i think your numbers are lower than ours...most probably the temp of the water kills your performance a bit down there, up here in north we usually fget pretty good result with just a STD 14/19R no repitch, and a Green Wheel (i didn'T went there yet, but i've seen some very fast machines around here).
    Last edited by Jeepster; 09-20-2007 at 07:20 PM.

OK... but if that's the case, BRP could have saved some coin by just using the same prop across their entire line of 215hp craft.
    If they did use the same prop across the board with the same HP engines the smaller crafts would be too crazy for general public consumption. Lets all say lawsuit.
    Take note that the top speeds of, say a stock speedster 430 hp aren't proportional to a stock speedster 150.
    Boattest.com tested the 430 at 58.7 mph and the 150 at 52.6 mph.
    Solas actually does reccommend the same prop for a stock boat across most of seadoo's boat lineup
    http://solas.com/products/pwc/impell...o=F23&SwType=1

Here is a youtube link of a 430 doing 73 mph http://youtube.com/watch?v=JN0vKaKXE40
    Thats a 14 mph gain over stock in a 2800 lbs boat The 150 weighs half of that.

How do you know until you start? Other than a replacement prop, you've only added a filter to the end of the stock intake hose. But, yes, running in cold water will make your boat and mods more efficient than in a warmer climate. 65 or 70 degrees at 57mph is my limit though.
    I have to say I was amazed at the difference getting rid of the stock plumbing made.
    I got at least 300 rpms from it and way more torque. How many rpms did the green wheel give you? I am guessing not that many.

Anything's possible, but I was 57mph stock at the beginning of the year, so that tells me I've got a decently strong boat. I was also very careful installing the front mount, that engine did not move a hair!
    I can guarantee that, from my own experience and various other posts i have read in the performance section, if you have not realigned your motor to the pump after replacing a motor mount that it is out of alignment to some degree which will suck the life outa your speed.
    Last edited by cfnnslsq; 09-21-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information