Tally, Florida

oil filter question

i'm currently using kawi 16097-0003 model..i bought the last 2 from my dealer the other day..he said kawi is phasing them out and going to the 16097-0004 number.. anyone else heard of this? the 0004 still ok to use..just looks alittle longer to me..

West Central, NJ

When I went to pull my filter off for the first oil change, I noticed that the one that the dealer had just given me was actually a little smaller "16097-0003" and the one that was on the ski from earlier "factory" was the "16097-0004". "Exact same filter" was what the dealer told me, just a little shorter. I figured I could trust him so I put the shorter filter on and have been running it hard with no notable problems. Even checked the condition of the filter just to make sure about a week ago and everything look fine, although I am not a filter engineer. Maybe one of the pro's will give you a guarenteed response, but I (steve the electrical engineer) will tell you with confidence that my ski has had no issues since I put the smaller filter on and know that there is no damage to the smaller sized filter or area surrounding...........Visually.

Use the 0003 Partnumber, and search for more threads about the oil filter part # issue. You will see that the 0003 is for the ultra 250x and the 0004 is a universal filter for the stx15 and 12. The 0004 can be used but i wouldnt recommend it. Ive read that the 0003 filter has a special bypass valve. Not sure... but thats what I read. Also I spoke with the kawi public relations person and they said to use the 0003. Just in case something happends to your PWC, dont let a oil filter void your warranty because of a wrong part number.

Tally, Florida
    thanks guys..i'll be sure to let my dealer know next time i buy my filter..

Weston Florida (Ft. Lauderdale)

03 is different

the #3 filter has an O ring so that it doesn't fail due to higher
    pressures of forced induction motors. Don't know about 04 #.

It's been covered here, just search for all accumulated wisdom!

Thread Information