Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Convert short pump to long?

Man it sucks to have ideas and no machining skills or tools. Been looking into stepping up to the plate and swapping a long pump onto my SL750. The benefits are known, but I got to thinking about what the real physical differences were between the two. To me (still a noob) it appears that the only difference is the spacer/wear ring addition, and all the associated hardware to make it happen. If it was all possible, you could just buy the extension new, but dang that sucker is expensive.

So, thinking out of the box here, assume someone had the capability to machine that spacer/wear ring and sell it. Obviously it's gotta be cost effective to warrant not just buying a complete used pump. If these conditions were possible then perhaps you could just buy the spacer/wear ring from that person, and then only need to find a longer driveshaft. Longer bolts and various extensions can be done at the local hardware store.

So I'm just throwing the idea out there. When so many parts are similar between the pumps, why not just offer the unique part and adapt the current pump? Is there a specific reason this isn't being done? Looking on bikebandit at the microfiche they've got the extension listed at $152, which for that price you might as well buy a used long pump. I'd assume there's decent profit to be made even if these rings went for $50. Any thoughts?

Disclaimer: After typing all this out, I'm thinking more and more into what might need to be done to machine something like that. Probably not worth it. Arrgh, what ya'll think. Educate me.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The real differance is the extension ring,mounting bolts(use theaded rod),driveshaft,water tube(but Al says..cut it and add a hose and clamps),and extensions for steering and/or trim.And maybe the hoses for the bilge siphion. I think that cover it all.

Please excuse me for asking, but what is it that makes the long pump better?

If I'm understanding this right, my '96 SLX has this long pump.

I didn't think it warranted a whole new thread, so my appologies for hijackig this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    The real differance is the extension ring,mounting bolts(use theaded rod),driveshaft,water tube(but Al says..cut it and add a hose and clamps),and extensions for steering and/or trim.And maybe the hoses for the bilge siphion. I think that cover it all.
    Yeah, adding all the necessary extensions is easy after a visit to the hardware store. Longer driveshaft isn't too difficult to find either, you need it anyways to do the swap. It's that extension ring that's the focus and the piece that makes a long pump a long pump. In the end I'll probably just do a complete swap, but just getting the juices flowing and a discussion going on possibilities and seeing if there's someone with these machining capabilities willing to do something like this.

+1
    I think Demand would not be there yet....It really would be easiest with a casting...Wonder were those molds went now that Polaris bailed on us?

+1
    It would not be cost effective to machine them. After you buy the material design the final drawing and dimensions. Machine them and maybe sell 10-15. it would cost 3-4 hundred per copy. Machine time at our shop is $145 per hour and does not include design time...CNC runs are 50-100ea minimum. The alignment tools that I make take aprox 15-20 min of machine time plus the cost of the material. I do not make any money on them but I do it for the love of the sport... I just got in a fresh batch of material to make eight more..

+1
    Beers,What program does your CNC Run with?

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    It would not be cost effective to machine them. After you buy the material design the final drawing and dimensions. Machine them and maybe sell 10-15. it would cost 3-4 hundred per copy. Machine time at our shop is $145 per hour and does not include design time...CNC runs are 50-100ea minimum. The alignment tools that I make take aprox 15-20 min of machine time plus the cost of the material. I do not make any money on them but I do it for the love of the sport... I just got in a fresh batch of material to make eight more..
    Haha thanks for bringing some real-world numbers to it. Yeah in concept it seems like a good idea, but that really shows the time and money that would go into making it.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    don't forget that the extension becomes the wear ring as well, so a stainless liner is needed to be pressed into the aluminum housing. cha ching!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Beers,What program does your CNC Run with?
    I do not write the programs. All of our stuff is drawn in auto-cad. I run the assembly side of things. www.interfacedevices.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information