Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Stupid A$$ intake grate inserts!

If seadoo would have just extended the rideplate into the area where the rear of the intake grate bolts then all 3 of the 10mm bolts would have a solid mounting surface instead of those stupid brass bosses in the plastic of the pump shoe. A month ago the rear of my intake grate cracked in half due to some poor strategy when truing the intake grate on my behalf. This in turn caused the inserts to be ripped from the pump shoe. No biggie. Epoxied them back in with a new stock intake grate and kept riding. Since i can't leave anything alone i pulled the grate again to true it and everything looked fine. Upon reinstalling the grate last night the inserts stripped with very little pressure. The only way to get them out was to rock the grate back and forth to pull them loose. Next thing i know my intake grate is laying on the ground in 2 pieces and the area where the bosses go in the pump shoe is totally destroyed. What a crappy design. Because of all this i missed a GORGEOUS day to ride. Now i'm determined to find a way to eliminate the inserts by making a girdle that will hold onto the ride plate and give the grate more support. I'll let you guys know what i come up with. The last thing i want is my grate coming off at 75mph.

+1
    yep mine on my RXT came out also it is a terrible design, I hope the X models are different

+1
    Thats why I always ran a riva grate modified to use the R$D girdle kit.

Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    yep mine on my RXT came out also it is a terrible design, I hope the X models are different
    Just do not tighten the outside bolts too tight. Clean the bolts, use plenty of blue loctite, snug them up and let the loctite do it's job.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    I just plastic welded the crap out of the area around the bosses as well as inside the holes and then heated the bosses up and sunk them in. I made a quick attemt at a girdle but it was a flop. i would love to see how R$D's piece goes in.

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    If seadoo would have just extended the rideplate into the area where the rear of the intake grate bolts then all 3 of the 10mm bolts would have a solid mounting surface instead of those stupid brass bosses in the plastic of the pump shoe. A month ago the rear of my intake grate cracked in half due to some poor strategy when truing the intake grate on my behalf. This in turn caused the inserts to be ripped from the pump shoe. No biggie. Epoxied them back in with a new stock intake grate and kept riding. Since i can't leave anything alone i pulled the grate again to true it and everything looked fine. Upon reinstalling the grate last night the inserts stripped with very little pressure. The only way to get them out was to rock the grate back and forth to pull them loose. Next thing i know my intake grate is laying on the ground in 2 pieces and the area where the bosses go in the pump shoe is totally destroyed. What a crappy design. Because of all this i missed a GORGEOUS day to ride. Now i'm determined to find a way to eliminate the inserts by making a girdle that will hold onto the ride plate and give the grate more support. I'll let you guys know what i come up with. The last thing i want is my grate coming off at 75mph.
    Josh, You think you had a bad day......Pete "PET" blewup his supercharger again today...it had 10hrs on it since the last one took a shit...He`s not a happy camper right now!!! Mike

R&D already makes a girdle

I run one & havent worried about my grate since

Jerry just put the r&d girdle in the online store. I just ordered one myself.

The R&D one is for the RXP. Here is a post of one a board member made for a GTX.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=girdle

Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    Thats why I always ran a riva grate modified to use the R$D girdle kit.

What did you have to do to the riva grate to use the r&d girdle? any pics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information