Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need suggestions! Extreme Ski Makeover

Ok, now that im finally on the verge (HOPEFULLY!) if havin my SLX 780 fully operational again after the whole impellar, jet pump issue.... need some advice and suggestions on what I should do to make my ski look good again. Looks good now,nice and clean, but too friggin plain and boring. When I bought it, the factory decals were all faded and peeling off, so i took them all off, minues the "Polaris" one. I repainted the handlebar pad (yes it actually does work fine), grab bar, rub rails (worked out really good) and hood (all of which were badly faded as well). I replaced the grips and sometime over the winter, Im gonna get new black hydro turf to replace that hideous purple mat thats on there now. It all looks good, just need some decals or paint or something to make look "better". Need some advice.... By the way, I mean LIMITED BUDGET advice. I would love to just get ahold of some new factory stickers, but I cant fathom pay $200 for a set of decals. Pic of my ski as it is right now below! Thanx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01163.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	39459  
    Last edited by Sabu1984; 09-22-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    May I suggest painting the sponsons, perhaps black...

Well you could put any kinds of graphics and decals on a blank canvas like that...hmmmm. As it sits right now though I think you should paint those sponsons, and maybe get some fancy registration numbers other than the mailbox numbers. Them numbers might run you 20-30, I've been meaning to do the same.

yeah, the sponsons were the only thing I hadnt painted yet... as you can see, there now pink instead of red, ha.... gettin there though! The last owner, had taken off the big registration numbers and replaced them with mailbox numbers, ha not quite sure why, guess because it was so cheap and easy......

+1
    Heat the sponsons with a flame and you can bring the color back. Practice on a hidden area. I don't remember who suggested it but it works great!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Heat the sponsons with a flame and you can bring the color back. Practice on a hidden area. I don't remember who suggested it but it works great!
    Funny you said that....a friend of mine said the same thing about the faded plastic parts....

Ill be trying that tomorrow for sure..... Im assuming it burns or melts of the thin top layer of the plastic?! Hope it works, that'll save some serious trouble.... As far as graphics or decals on the side of the ski, I dont even know where to start.... sometimes i just wanna leave it plain, other times i wanna junk it up with some cool vinyl graphics.... I looked online but couldnt find anything that jumped out at me...

Din'y try it on the gas tank of an MX bike though.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    Ill be trying that tomorrow for sure..... Im assuming it burns or melts of the thin top layer of the plastic?! Hope it works, that'll save some serious trouble...
    Umm, I think what happens is that you are softening the plastic just enough to allow the pigment/color to reflow within the plastic, and move closer to the surface.

You don't want to burn the plastic, for sure, and melting would also be going a bit too far.
    Flames on plastic, be very careful with that concentrated heat.

Has anyone done this using an electric heat gun? I would think it would be more controllable than a flame.

Others have reported good results using a very fine abrasive (wet sandpaper, or steel wool?), taking a very thin layer of the faded plastic off, exposing the color below.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I heard the heat gun was the way to go but have yet to try it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information