Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Shibbs, Jerry, Guys,,, help...

Please Read...
    You guys remember my ski shuuting down on it`s own, long beep, lcd screen still alive reading "0" rpm`s, but can`t refire until you remove DESS lanyard, re-insert and then it`ll fire????

things really got crazy today!
    OK, recall first signs of symptoms, when first appeared beginning of season till present:
    ski shut`s off as stated above.
    ski shits off as stated then long beep, stops after about a minute, lcd screen flashes, stops, once -twice, then you can press start button and it starts.

at first I thought it had something to do with electrical continuity from heat soak during shut down periods when we would swim or stop to BS.
    then, it`ll shut down on the fly minutes to an hour from when first shut off ski.
    it will doo this several times during a 2-3 hour ride with brief stops.
    there have been rides where it didn`t act up at all.
    I`ve checked every connection, battery, sensor, wires etc. good grounds
    ski runs good when not doing this...

WELL: today, the ski shut off on it`s own about 10-15 minutes after stopping to check the oil. There was the looong beep again, lcd screen lit with "0" RPM (digitally), beep stopped, went to hit start button, "nothing", removed dess lanyard, lcd screen went off, long beep came back almost immediately, stopped and came back once more, for chits and giggles I hit the start button and the ski fired without dess lanyard on post, hit the button again and ski shut off. NOW I insert the lanyard, 2 short beeps as normal, I hit the start button and the ski runs, I idle for a moment squeeze the throttle ski is running erratic like I lost 2 cylinders, and tach reads 7900 when it should have read 2000-2500

I pull the lanyard, shut ski off, let sit for a moment, I kept trying the lanyard until I got the 2 beeps (even tried another known good key) press start and it fired up and ran correctly, even blasting around at 7550 for a bit.
    after all this, the ski did shut off twice more with less drama, it only need to have the lanyard removed and re-inserted and then ran agin until it happened again...all this inside a few hours, what a miserable ride...
    What can this be?????????
    I know others had their ski run without the key , there are several things happening here.
    is it:
    ECU?
    MPEM?
    DESS Post?
    there is absolutely no codes...I have a MAINT message when starting after a few flashes it goes away, like normal. I think this is just the reminder...
    This is making me nuts... what do you think this is, or what have some of you guys replaced/repaired to solve this? Thanks...PR...

I forgot to mention that the last few incidents today the idle was up to 1950-2050, I never see any more than 1850, ever... at the end of the ride ski was iding at the lower more normal rpm`s.

I still have warranty until June 08
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-22-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Andy, go through all the fuses in the MPEM. I've been seeing a number of cases of water intrusion causing corrosion and all sorts of wierd stuff. It's a long shot but easy and worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    Andy, go through all the fuses in the MPEM. I've been seeing a number of cases of water intrusion causing corrosion and all sorts of wierd stuff. It's a long shot but easy and worth a shot.
    yeah Josh, did that to. all new fuses, all connections look good...PR...

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Electrical problems are the worst. I have a background in trouble shooting electrical faults so it's a little easier but none the less frustrating.

Banned User
    All the grounds on the motor are clean. This is a gtx sc 03? Ive had one with corroded pins on the MPEM check that for sure but if its throwing a code the dealer needs to plug into it and it will give you a direction. JOJO

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    didn't even finish reading your post and i'm telling you to replace the DESS POST... no doubt about it. that's at the bare minimum more than half your problem.

you have a $50 dollar deductible.. the DESS POST is $87.49 if memory serves me right off the top of my head... your call if you want to warranty the $37.49 or not

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    this will wind up costing you one of the following costs

$50 bucks (all issues with the ski are fixed in one warranty claim)
    $87.49 (you replace the DESS post yourself outside of warranty)
    $100 (you bring the ski in once for a DESS post, then a second time for another gremlin for a total cost of two deductibles)
    $137.49 (you fix the DESS post urself out of your pocket, but minor greminlin still happening which later gets fixed under warranty)

not a bad worst case scenario huh?

OR... it can cost you thousands and you sell the ski and get a new one finally so you aren't pissing in the wind with a 185HP ski anymore and play with the big girls with an RXT or RXT-X

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    OR... it can cost you thousands

and you sell the ski and get a new one finally so you aren't pissing in the wind with a 185HP ski anymore and play with the big girls with an RXT or RXT-X... ... unfortunately not yet ...

OK, Steve, thanks I will get a new DESS post and try that...

what made the tach read 7900 rpm`s when I was actually turning about 2000-2500 and my ecu only rev`s to 7650 ...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    didn't even finish reading your post and i'm telling you to replace the DESS POST... no doubt about it. that's at the bare minimum more than half your problem.

i agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    i agree!
    okie dokie, I just got back from the dealership with a DESS post, Dr Len helped me out with "their" current pricing so I got the DESS post at what I would have paid online including the shipping with NJ tax and such ...

I already have the old one out, and it`s to nice to stay in the garage, need some quality time with Mrs. PR and Nikko, so we`re heading out, let you guys now what`s up when I get it together...Thanks...PR...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information