Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to this

Question New to this

Hi. im new to the watercraft world, and was wondering if you guys have tips. And what some of the lingo you use in posts. Ex.(Jerry)
    Last edited by RXP22; 09-22-2007 at 09:36 PM.

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Welcome!!

As far as lingo there is way too much to mention, I will guarantee you will pick it up as you read posts.... but here are a few that are commonly not understood...

Green Hulk- The man... Jerry, who runs this site(among his many moderators who are also cool as hell) as well as 4-tecperformance.com

I/C- Intercooler

S/C-Supercharged

NA- Non aspirated(not Supercharged)

Turbo-Diff way to boost engine performance

TTT/Bump- Bring a thread to the top

Hull- Underside protion of the boat, part that sits in the water

Stern-Rear

Bow-Front

Starboard- Right side of the vessel

Port- Left side of the vessel

Pump- Part in the rear underside where the water shoots out

Impeller- 3 or 4 blade cone that is a part of your pump that propells the water

Intake Grate- A physical grate underneath your ski 2-3 feet in front of your pump.... where the water gets sucked in, easy mod with some decent results depending on how you ride

Staged Kits (1,2,3)- Kits offered by Riva to advance the performance of your ski. Thay are sold in Jerry's store... can be cheaper to cut corners and make part of it elsewhere, keep an eye out for ways.

DESS- Digital Encoded Security System... basically your key to your ski... but better as your stock ECU will only accept the one key(or two if your have a training key).

Glass/Chop/Rollers- Ways to describe the water surface

RIVA- Performance company that makes all sorts of parts that can be bolted or atteched to these wonderful skis of ours

Unhook- When your ski physicaly exits the water.... specifically at the grate/rear portion

Porpousing- When you are planed off trying to obtain top speed and your bow keeps moving up and down but you don't unhook from the water, decreases ability to gain top speed

Cavitation- Very scientific concept where air/nitrogen is trapped in the expelled water running through your pump, releases causing heavy vibration and other performance drops. This is the very basic definition, really doesn't do it justice as it is complex. If you do a search on it you will find various posts which explain it in detail.

Bunks- Wood slats running vertically on your trailer which your ski physically rests on when on the trailer.

Stand- A physical stand you can buy to place your ski on when in storage out of the water and off the trailer.

Ceramic Failure- When you have the ceramic washers in your S/C and they break, causing months of despair as your ski gets ripped apart and your wallet laughs at you as your money seems to disappear. If you have no clue what I am talking about, check the links to the left top side of this forum and look under SC Clutch Failure... it is incredibly common in s/c doos up until the 08's come out.

MudBug- An event that takes place in June where all the fastest skis and those that are working to get there get together for a couple days of great times. I have never been but hope to go to the upcoming one... it looks like a blast

Couch- A term people call the larger ski's, mostly used to refer to the RXT's

This should definitely get you started. I am betting someone will disagree with one or two of these definitons as some may be open for interp... I am new to this world as well but this is what I picked up so far...

OPAS- fins in the rear sides of the ski that steer you when off the throttle.... training wheels of the jet ski/seadoo world

Great list Jaycee...
    NA- Non aspirated(not Supercharged)
    Naturally aspirated, but I know that's what you meant.

So, RXP22, you're new to watercrafts and you already have three jets? (four, considering the boat has two )

yeah my brother sold me them as a deal. it came with a boat/pwc tariler the sea doo boat and two skis. he had to move off of long island and couldnt use the skis in washington. i decided to buy them from him for 55,000. Ive only been out once on them and i had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Welcome!!

Ceramic Failure- When you have the ceramic washers in your S/C and they break, causing months of despair as your ski gets ripped apart and your wallet laughs at you as your money seems to disappear. If you have no clue what I am talking about, check the links to the left top side of this forum and look under SC Clutch Failure... it is incredibly common in s/c doos up until the 08's come out...

Perhaps some of the most important advice to follow...metal washers.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Great list Jaycee... Naturally aspirated, but I know that's what you meant.

green wheel?

Whats a green wheel?

A replacement for your OEM(theres another one... aka stock) supercharger wheel that will greatly improve your performance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information