99 XP or GP800R?

Hi all, I'm looking into getting a new jetski in the next week or two. I currently have a 97 SP, slow but lots of fun when jumping since it's so light.

I've come across a great deal on a 99 xp. It has 35 hours on it, is well taken care of, and they're asking $2500 for it. These skis seem great, still lighter than the newer ones, good power, and they look great. However, I've heard some negative things about the 951 motors. I've read in 99 they revised a few things, but should I be worried about the reliability of this ski?

I've also come across a 2002 gp800r for $3600 with a trailer. It has about 20 hours on it and is also in great condition. I've read about the powervalve issue, but it seems it can be fixed relatively cheap (about $75) with clips. I read the r hulls are a little heavier, but still a great design. Maybe a gp800 would be a better choice?

I was curious about the pros and cons of each ski, and which would be the better deal. Thanks in advance.

Banned User
    +1
    I would go with the XP, in 99 they got the 951 to run right....and when taken care of and MAINTAINED properly, then it is a reliable power plant...

Even in stock form is a great ski...Just a few things to tweek it (head, rejet, etc) and you got yourself a FUN toy...

Its also a good jumper, so no loss there....

99 xp

I agree with Danny, I have a 99 XPL and it has been fantastic no issues at all. Let me know if you are not buying the 99 XP and i might - as long as it was not in salt water. No offence intended to salt water guys but I am in Ontario Canada and have heard that switching from salt to fresh sometimes raises issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I would go with the XP, in 99 they got the 951 to run right....and when taken care of and MAINTAINED properly, then it is a reliable power plant...

Even in stock form is a great ski...Just a few things to tweek it (head, rejet, etc) and you got yourself a FUN toy...

Its also a good jumper, so no loss there....
    Thanks for the info. I heard there were some issues with the 97 and 98 951s, but just wanted to make sure. The owner seems to have taken good care of it, I'll know for sure when I see it though.

Another question - what about a 96 xp? It's down about 20hp, but it's lighter, probably more fun jumping, and cheaper. I'd give up the speed to have a more agile ski and save money, but not more what you guys would recommend. It seems there are a few floating around, and a deal could be had.

Quote Originally Posted by mmctaggart View Post
    I agree with Danny, I have a 99 XPL and it has been fantastic no issues at all. Let me know if you are not buying the 99 XP and i might - as long as it was not in salt water. No offence intended to salt water guys but I am in Ontario Canada and have heard that switching from salt to fresh sometimes raises issues?
    Okay, I'll let you know. It was used primarily in fresh water in Florida. The owner moved up north and used it abuot 10 hours in saltwater. He claims it was flushed after each and the ski was washed, so it still looks good.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Interspy24 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I heard there were some issues with the 97 and 98 951s, but just wanted to make sure. The owner seems to have taken good care of it, I'll know for sure when I see it though.

Another question - what about a 96 xp? It's down about 20hp, but it's lighter, probably more fun jumping, and cheaper. I'd give up the speed to have a more agile ski and save money, but not more what you guys would recommend. It seems there are a few floating around, and a deal could be had.
    The 951 was introduced in mid-97 in the GSXL...They had water cooling issues, thus redesigned it for 98...by 99 they got the elctronics nailed down and used it for the next few years...

The 96 unit is the 780/800cc motor, which is 110hp...they used it in the 97 redesign....That motor is BULLETPROOF when maintained, you can't get more reliable than that......That motor in the x4 hull (95-96 XP, 97-99 SPX) is the best combo for fun factor...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mmctaggart View Post
    No offence intended to salt water guys but I am in Ontario Canada and have heard that switching from salt to fresh sometimes raises issues?

No really any issues, to the ski water is water....but after salt riding, youmust rinse the ski off (inside and out) and flush the ski with fresh water...light misting of oil/wd40 on engine parts and electrical connections.....Salt water, if left alone to dry, is corrosive on marine environments, especially anything aluminum....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The 951 was introduced in mid-97 in the GSXL...They had water cooling issues, thus redesigned it for 98...by 99 they got the elctronics nailed down and used it for the next few years...

The 96 unit is the 780/800cc motor, which is 110hp...they used it in the 97 redesign....That motor is BULLETPROOF when maintained, you can't get more reliable than that......That motor in the x4 hull (95-96 XP, 97-99 SPX) is the best combo for fun factor...
    Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it. How much faster is the 951? I'm sure it has more torque, but it's maybe 3-4mph faster?

Also, can you tell a noticeable difference between the weight of the skis, the x4 hull (96 xp and 97-99 gsx) and the 97+ hulls? Again, I'm rocking a 97 SP, while it's slow, it's very light, maybe 450lbs with a full tank of gas?

How much would a nice 96 xp or 97-99 spx run? Since you stated the 800 motors are bulletproof, I'm thinking it might be a better option. On the other hand, a 99 xp for $2500 is a great deal.

IF ITS SUNDAY DALE LETS RIDE EL bicho MMP's Avatar

99 xp hands down

no brainer 99xp 951 running 63 stock all day go for it

+1
    99XP hands down, lots of fun factor

Thread Information