Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So how do you know if your ceramic washers are bad?

Sorry for the Noob question...
    I have a 2007 180 Challenger... I took it out for the 2nd time with about 3 hours on it (clock says 1 hr). After starting it up tonight I noticed that at a idle the motor was running more rough than our first trip. I also notice that at 3/4 throttle my speed was lower (haven't gone full throttle due to brake-in)... which I found odd due to our load being 4 people lighter! I noticed that there was more vibration too... I could hear the throttle cable rattle against the hull.
    We only had it out for an hour or so.

Am I at the beginning of the ceramic washers going?

There really is no "beginning" to the ceramic washers going, or if there is, it only lasts a second, then it's gone. There is a tell-tale way to discover if you've blown a washer (and you shouldn't start your engine again until after this test is performed, and it is discovered that the washers are fine). The supercharger is at the aft of the engine, and has a 3" air tube coming off of it at a 90 degree angle (coming out of the middle of the supercharger, not the one on top). Unscrew the clamp and remove the tube. Reach your fingers inside the SC, and you'll be able to feel the boost wheel impeller blades. When the washers are in place, you will not be able to turn that wheel significantly. If you've lost a washer, it will spin freely, and you'll need to read up on the subject here, and take the boat back to the dealer. For some reason we can only guess at, there have been many '07 boats blow their washers in the first few hours of break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    There really is no "beginning" to the ceramic washers going, or if there is, it only lasts a second, then it's gone. There is a tell-tale way to discover if you've blown a washer (and you shouldn't start your engine again until after this test is performed, and it is discovered that the washers are fine). The supercharger is at the aft of the engine, and has a 3" air tube coming off of it at a 90 degree angle (coming out of the middle of the supercharger, not the one on top). Unscrew the clamp and remove the tube. Reach your fingers inside the SC, and you'll be able to feel the boost wheel impeller blades. When the washers are in place, you will not be able to turn that wheel significantly. If you've lost a washer, it will spin freely, and you'll need to read up on the subject here, and take the boat back to the dealer. For some reason we can only guess at, there have been many '07 boats blow their washers in the first few hours of break-in.
    Thanks for the info... I'll check it out!

Good news... I think...

I checked the supercharger and it's hard to move... so washers arent the problem. My console is displaying SENSOR... and according to the manual I have to take my boat into the dealer. I was curious if I sucked up anything to cause my vibration, so I crawled under to check... sure enough I did... something small... a wood chip that is about 1/2" x 1/4" was wedged between the impeller and the wall. I can't see any damage. I ended up taking something long and pointy and moved it out of the way... it was pinched in there pretty good. I'm thinking that it got sucked up on our first voyage when I drove it onto the trailer... Now on I'm cranking it and not driving it onto the trailer as there is more debris around the ramps that can get sucked up. Now I have to make a trip to the dealer

That's very good news, but changing the washers to metal is something to seriously consider. I'd take the boat out and see how it runs, now that the obstruction is out, before going back to the dealer. You could have wear ring damage, and, unless you go with a stainless steel one, those have to be changed enough that it really pays to do it yourself (well, actually it pays to do most anything yourself).

It's displaying SENSOR, but is it giving you a fault code (starts with a "P-")? Also, do you have a OEM depth finder?

That's very good news, but changing the washers to metal is something to seriously consider. I'd take the boat out and see how it runs, now that the obstruction is out, before going back to the dealer. You could have wear ring damage, and, unless you go with a stainless steel one, those have to be changed enough that it really pays to do it yourself (well, actually it pays to do most anything yourself).

It's displaying SENSOR, but is it giving you a fault code (starts with a "P-")? Also, do you have a OEM depth finder?
    Yes I have a OEM Depth finder... why do you ask? Do you think it's related to the SENSOR display?

Yes, that's more good news. With the OEM depth finder, SENSOR will display upon every startup, and only means that it is starting to read the depth finder's transducer sensor. Perfectly normal. If something was wrong, you'd see a code flashing like "P-0250".

Yes, that's more good news. With the OEM depth finder, SENSOR will display upon every startup, and only means that it is starting to read the depth finder's transducer sensor. Perfectly normal. If something was wrong, you'd see a code flashing like "P-0250".
    Cool!...
    I did not know that... My last boat (150 Speedster) didn't have the depth finder so the SENSOR message never popped up. Well I feel better now! I still need to get the washers and bearings done ASAP!

What means code P0250?

where i boat theres a lot of wood it sucks. if u pop the wood out thats wedged in there its ok most of the time if u go to the dealer they well tell you its bad and you have to get a new impeller over $600. last year i sucked up wood over 10 times went home got it out and it was fine over the winter i but a new stock where ring and a ss solas impeller which is a lot shaper than the stock aluminum one. ive been out a lot this year and sucked stofe up and it all ways cuts it up! never had to stop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information