I think my wear rings done......

As some of you know i had posted a thread about how i had sucked up some wood. So yesterday i had put it up on my lift and went in from underneath and saw a little peice of wood wedged inbetween the blade of the impeller and the wear ring. So i worked at it with a long screwdriver and finally got it out. I took out my waverunner and it seemed fine. I got it up to "68" but it was rly windy and the riding conditions werent the best. But I think my acceleration might of gotten slower a little bit. Or im just being paroniod. But do you guys think I should probably replace it?

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    It's definately toast if you sucked up a wood piece. Buy a new one, take the pump out and stick it in the freezer for about half an hour. The ring will pop right out without having to take the impeller out.

is it rly difficult to take off the pump? i do have experience working on engines and stuff but its usually cars. but it sucks beacsue my closest boat ramp just shut down. The next one is about 15 miles

+1
    what is your rpm, speed doesn't mean anything reading it off the dreameter? 7900-8100 is your range depending on water/air temp. Then if it is low, check your prop and wear ring.

+1
    Best way to KNOW if you need a new wear ring is if you are at idle, and nail the gas. If it feels like you are "spinning tires" and not going anywhere, then it's cavitating and causing damage to the impeller and a little to the stator veins. A LITTLE cavitation is normal, but especially if it hits the rev limiter that it very bad.

Instructions for pulling the pump apart / swapping the wear ring are here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

Chances are, if you have 50+ hours on your pump, it's probably about time to replace the wear ring anyway. They aren't designed to last forever.

+1
    You need a 10mm wrench, a 10mm socket, a 17mm socket, a couple extensions, a 3mm allen key, and a ratchet.. From there you need a 13mm to take the nozzle off and get at the impeller/wear ring. Really easy to do. Just remember where everything goes so you can put it back together again.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    When you take the nuts and washers off the steering rod and reverse rod make sure you put it back in right after you take it off. You might loose it or confuse it. Then you know where everything goes when you're ready to put it back in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXTridr View Post
    is it rly difficult to take off the pump?
    NO!

...but I think I mighta mentioned that before.

Mike

thanks guys. BUt i have one more questions. Im trying to install speakers under my hood and i cant seem to seperat the cover. I have took off all the 6 hex bolts and the 2 other bigger bolts. I tried lifting every which way and i cant get it off.

Thread Information