Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top End

Top End

My 96 GSX 800 needs a top end. SBT sells a complete top end for $430. has anyone had any experience with these top ends? I have heard negative stuff about their engines but no comments on the top ends...pretty hard to screw up the top end...but asking for personal experiences...Thanks

IF ITS SUNDAY DALE LETS RIDE EL bicho MMP's Avatar

MMPs

well let me start with sbt why?
    are there no local shops where you can have your cyls bored or honed
    and oreder your self a set of pro-x pistons.sbt usally uses wsm,trust me you will thank me.if you need help with any of your jetski issues
    such as this one feel free and just let me know. MMP...

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRYDER View Post
    My 96 GSX 800 needs a top end. SBT sells a complete top end for $430. has anyone had any experience with these top ends? I have heard negative stuff about their engines but no comments on the top ends...pretty hard to screw up the top end...but asking for personal experiences...Thanks

Hey GSX, nice to see you're floating around (no pun..LOL). Anyways, I just got an OEM top end with everytihng needed from seadoo source. It right around 430 or so not including core charge for cylinders. Maybe a little more, but not much. www.seadoosource.com

You have a choice of OEM or PRO-X pistons. OEM is more expensive, but I like them for the application I was applying them to. He matches each piston to each cylinder and shipping was VERY TIMELY, packaged well.

The only complaint I had was his base gaskets. His gasket kit comes with only one base gasket. It is a 6 hole and measures extra thick. I talked to him about this and he said he talked to the manufacturer and was told the gasket should compress. I still went for an OEM 4 hole I had.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    That Pennzoil bite you already?

OEM is best...as they already said pricing is close too.

PDX

Thanks, I really liked the look of your skis so much I bought one for myself...I am going to look up the seadoosource in spite of all the stuff on pw_today about the SBT stuff being good...there have been many people that say their stuff is junk. In that I am building this engine top down...I didn't want to reinvent the wheel at my expense...thanks your input was what I was lookin for!

XPS - no dude I got this from FUZZYWUZZY who only uses Bombardier Oil...nice try though!
    Last edited by GSXRYDER; 09-25-2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: didn't see xps comment

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Another thing to take into consideration is what size over do SBT pistons start? OEM's are .25mm over, which loses less sleeve material for a rebuild. SBT punches all their engines out 1mm to cover any damage done by a user.

Thanks! I have never used SBT, can't say I never will. But I have seen pro mechanics shop shelves filled with failed SBT parts, all off stocker no mod seadoos. Some work, some don't I guess. I have read in the last couple days that SBT uses WSM pistons. Do a search for wsm and read. They seem to be the last choice for a lot of people.

Seadoo source sells the OEM kit for 439.00 ( I just checked his site) + 60 core charge for each cylinder. I got my kit from him and it wasn't even 1st bore over. Also try Bill O', his price is coparable if I remember.

I got mine from sds simply becasue he got them to me litterally in 48 hours, 24 to hone match the pistons and get it all together and 24 hours for overnight shipping.

Shoot, even for an extra 100.00 I'd go OEM if at all possible. XPSS has another good point about sbt being 1mm over, I think that is max over, which leaves you buying new jugs when those are shot....

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks, I really liked the look of your skis so much I bought one for myself...I am going to look up the seadoosource in spite of all the stuff on pw_today about the SBT stuff being good...there have been many people that say their stuff is junk. In that I am building this engine top down...I didn't want to reinvent the wheel at my expense...thanks your input was what I was lookin for!

XPS - no dude I got this from FUZZYWUZZY who only uses Bombardier Oil...nice try though!

PDX

How is this for luck, the guy at SDS went on vaca starting yesterday and won't be back for a MONTH...DAMN! But I am with you here, I do want a stock motor bore and everything, just in case something gets hosed up I still have some bore room. The SBT I am sure when you pay 430 for the top end would be for a standard bore but their reputation isn't the best so I am not goin there...I guess I wait for the guy at SDS or some other reputable dealer BC I am not one to build junk and I don't tolerate it either...sorry EL BICHO or whoever you are with just 14 posts I am not jumping in to buy from you...no harm intended but I need more of a reputation to deal with unless you are willing to ship me the parts and when they work I will pay...which I am sure you aren't willing to do...so build up your rep and then get back with me.

So PDX that is where I am at ...just waiting on a reliable vendor to get me in a stock topend for $450.00 Thanks for your advice...

How is this for luck, the guy at SDS went on vaca starting yesterday and won't be back for a MONTH...DAMN! But I am with you here, I do want a stock motor bore and everything, just in case something gets hosed up I still have some bore room. The SBT I am sure when you pay 430 for the top end would be for a standard bore but their reputation isn't the best so I am not goin there...I guess I wait for the guy at SDS or some other reputable dealer BC I am not one to build junk and I don't tolerate it either...sorry EL BICHO or whoever you are with just 14 posts I am not jumping in to buy from you...no harm intended but I need more of a reputation to deal with unless you are willing to ship me the parts and when they work I will pay...which I am sure you aren't willing to do...so build up your rep and then get back with me.

So PDX that is where I am at ...just waiting on a reliable vendor to get me in a stock topend for $450.00 Thanks for your advice...

Ya, when I went to his site I noticed that. Try Bill O over at PWCT. If I remeber right, he was close in price if not a match. Don't hold me to that though, it's been a bit of time......

Bill

Doesn't he work for SBT?...I am a little leary about the potential of inferior parts winding up on my SD. Currently my present SD's kick a$$ and I'd like to think I can get my 'new' 96 to do the same...I guess bc it is an 800 it will be slower but, I am going to at least make it as reliable as he&l. Anyway I will get a post goin at that site and see what comes of it. If I end up waiting on SDS, so be it - ya it will mean this ski is ready for next season but it will be ready, and not waiting to break!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information