02 STX 1100 DI leak at drive shaft

Started taking on water where the drive shaft goes through the hull.
    Dealer repaired ($800) by pulling engine (I think) and slathering on a lot of black sealant.
    Leaked a few weeks later, dealer repaired again (free) with a different white epoxy.
    Leaked again a few weeks later, dealer repaired again (free, plus loaner jetski) with same white epoxy but kept out of water 7+ days to fully cure.
    It's been a few weeks, no leak yet but I'm concerned about next season.

Dealer tells me that the epoxy (rather than a mechanical seal) is a Kawasaki thing. Can anyone shed a little light on that(like is it true)? Anyone have any experience with this sort of leak? Can anyone steer me to a shop manual that would detail making a repair like that? pulling engine? Is there any "aftermarket kit" that would make a mechanical seal like the stuffing box on my inboard? Could something be loose / misaligned that's causing the epoxy to fail?

I'm mechanically inclined, have worked on my cars / boats but know little about jetskis (I've never owned one, this is actually my brother's). He's leaning toward trading it in but they're only offering $2000 for it. I'm considering buying it from him. If the epoxy holds, great. If not, I may pursue the dealer for a refund of the $800 and try to fix it myself.

lebanon tn.
    They should have put in a new carrier bearing, seals and holder. If the mounting surface of the hull was good and clean then silacone should have sealed it up. Epoxy there would make it a b!#@h to get it off again. The book I have for the 1100 stx says nothing about using sealant on the holder. The bolts are tightened after the engine is reinstalled which should force it to align itself. I did my 98 1100 and used silacone no leaks on mine.

replace bearings and seals in carrier it will align it self when you tighten the carrier up after engine is in

Take a look on pwctoday, there is a guy there that repaired this completely and has a great write up

Time for a serious discussion with the owner of your dealership. They obviously don't know what they're doing.

Thread Information