Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wipeout...it finally happened to me.

Cruising along, did the 360 lookaround and opened it up on my 06 1300.

I do not know how fast but from the corner of my eye was a wake I did not see earlier the the flat...overcast light.

The ski bucked right as I hit the wake at 45 degrees and I positioned myself over it and then quickly to the left and there was no...I mean no! time to react as the ski just disappeared from under me. I tucked my shoulder and started to skip on my back with the obilgitory exhale of all of the wind leaving me. I did not know how it would end up but when I oriented myslf I had to swim a solid 75 feet to get to the ski...that might indicate how fast I was going. A inventory of my parts has only yielded a very sore right side and I am chasing it away with a cold beer and ibuprofin.

I have read the stories and know I am lucky...damn lucky. I was very shaken...I limped back to the ramp and had nothing to brag about to the others...I slithered home.

+1
    Glad your ok,that was a nasty spill.

Back in 02' i was in full superman (Island Racing style),on my single pipe,didnt pay attention to the wakeboard boat that passed bye me going the other way about 2 minutes earlier,i didnt see the rollers till it was too late! I hit them at 65mph at a 45* angle and got pitched.OUCH!

Again,glad your ok.

+1
    Rio, I know what that feel like....not good. Glad yur o.k. and it was not worse. water may feel soft, but, at speed, hurts like heck....

+1
    Glad your OK Rio!!! I would say welcome to the club but its not one I enjoy being in, my shoulder still pops after a year.

Not shure what mods you have but if the stock grate is still there I would be looking for a new R&D 1200 model.

OK now what...

I feel fine today but a bit sore and I was wondering if there was in fact mods to prevent this...although you can't fix stupid...

My ski is stock...I was going to start hull mods and was going to do grate and Jims plate and sponsons.

Is there a safer/better grate or is the stock best to stick with? If you have an opinion on the best option, can you tell me why?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Vista View Post
    I feel fine today but a bit sore and I was wondering if there was in fact mods to prevent this...although you can't fix stupid...

My ski is stock...I was going to start hull mods and was going to do grate and Jims plate and sponsons.

Is there a safer/better grate or is the stock best to stick with? If you have an opinion on the best option, can you tell me why?

Thanks
    The stock one is dangerous. Watched a guy get tossed on his stock 06 a few weeks ago when he hit a small ripple at WOT. The R&D 1200 or 800 grates are the best. 1200 for rough water and holeshot and 800 for top speed (1mph or so ), which ever is best for your riding conditions. Probably a 100 threads on this if you search.

Still to come!

Ok i hear all these crash stories on here and hear how bad everyone says they are, i am finding it hard to imagine how bad they are for several reasons:
    1. I have stacked a fair bit when doubling with other people but mainly doing spins never at high speed but. None of them had a hint of pain.
    2. I have always water skiid and wakeboarded and all that. I know the speads are not comparitable but u get a good slap and can get rib bruising and a saw head when u catch an edge and yeh sometimes it hurts but i find it hard to imagine being scared of the next one. When waterskiing doing a whip at say 35mph (boat speed) the skiier should be at about 50-60mph.

How do u fall at these speeds? Like off the back and slide on water, or over the front or off the side?

Im getting a new RXT next week so i guess it wnt be long till i understand.

+1
    Matt,

Neither one of my crashes were that bad.

I was bucked off Trager's tripple pipe ski at 85 mph while testing and tuning. Managed to hold on with my right hand but the rest of me was sliding in the water backwards until we ran ashore. Twisted and popped my sholder.

Second time was on my boat at 82, bucked hard and then turned left throughing me into a endless tumble but managed to only be bruised.

ANYONE using a stock grate is subseptable to getting tossed from a buck. A buck is what happens when the pump is overstuffed causing the ski to drop the nose violently with the occasional left hand dart. People running into the 80s have to deal with this no matter what grate they have.

This is very dangerous!!! It is ashame you cast doubt and I truley hope you do not get hurt because of your disbelief.
    Last edited by Duke; 09-26-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Matt, I have been riding skis for a long time now, and two weeks ago i was testing a friends Yammi and it tossed my ass off at 60, I just flew off landing towards my right shoulder n back....I had the wind knocked out and could barely move my right arm to get back to the ski. I hit the water with such force that it messed up my eardrum.......so 2 weeks later i have some pain in shoulder and my ear is infected. So if you think that my wreck isnt that bad....then you deal with my aches and the puss like discharge runnin from my ears. PWCs are dangerous and mishaps can happen to anyone of us no matter how young or old, or how many years they have under their belt. I hope you never have to deal with what I`m goin though!!

+1
    This is precisely why we are all so worried about the intake grates on our skis. Glad you're ok bro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information