Thread: gas question

gas question

i'm wondering... since sd is mandating at least 92 octane in the rxp, what is everyone running here in their machine? just 92 octane pump gas? we buy all our gas in bulk and the gas company will only deliver 89 octane to our 300 gallon tank. all last year we actually drove to the gas staion and paid the outrageous lake price for 92 (kind of a hassle to get to a closer spot with cheaper gas) or mixed in octane boost. of course if you read the octane boost container carefully, and they don't all say this, "10 points" only translates to 1 actual octane number.
    so, i am now going to mix race gas with my 89 to get the right mix. using a 2 to 1 mix of 89 to 110, you get a 96 octane gas.
    yes i know that race gas is for higher compression engines. i run it in my sportbike with no issues since it is built for that, however, are there any issues with running 96 in the rxp? all i can imagine is a higher engine temp.
    any input on this?

+1
    Not sure if mixing the two actually results in an average of the octanes, but I recommend sticking with the higher octane consistently (92). Is it 91 or 92 that the sticker reads as to the gas octane requirement? Gas isn't cheap but the better octane might be cheaper in the long run if you start experiencing problems related to low grade fuel. What year is your ski? Have you had or needed the knock sensor update?

its the'04. i'm assuming the knock sensor is the "octane sensor" the dealer referred to, and yes it was installed. are these the same? i was told whatever was installed would detect octane levels and if it didn't read 92 (may have been 91) then the ecu would pull back and not perform at 100%. as you can tell, it was explained to me very well. supposedly for warranty purposes, but if i am out of warranty then what good is it? that one had me stumped for about 15 minutes.
    yeah, i knw the high octane is better for performance engines, just wondering if higher than 92 would do any damage - i'm not sure if the engines compression warrants anything above a 92.

also... random question... what is the average top end boost that the stock super charger is putting out? ever heard of anyone putting a boost gauge on?

thanks.

+1
    nilla, the knock sensor actually detects the "knock" or detonation which is ignition from compression and heat before the spark. When you use higher octane gas, it takes more heat or compression to detonate the gas, preventing knock. The sensor kicks in to retard timming and keeping you from blowing up your ski.

Anything over 92 is just excessive. I run 92 or if i can find it 93. I've never run anything under 92 in either the gtx-sc or rxp.

+1
    Check out this website a little more or go to www.greenhulk.net and you'll see a series of mods Jerry has done to his RXP, including a boost gauge.

LOL!!! Mike know's all about detonation!!! He like's TP for a wick!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River
    LOL!!! Mike know's all about detonation!!! He like's TP for a wick!!
    I didn't light it!!

Thread Information