Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1

Buying: 2008 GP1300R vs. GP1200

Okay fellas...

Some of you reading may recognize me as the guy that's been trying to locate a suitable GP1200 for some time now. If you are, you know what I've seen and that I haven't found the right one yet.

I was at first jokingly threatening to look hard at a new 1300R since I couldn't find the right 1200 close to me. Now I'm starting to look a little more seriously at that possibility.

So let's talk the 1300R. Years in play here are the ones I can get new. '06, '07, and '08. The earlier ones you can get for less, but the '08 sure is sexy in Yammie Blue.

So immediate advantages over the 1200 are EFI, bigger displacement, it's new, I get a warranty, etc, etc. Bad sides? It's bigger and heavier than I may want, the seat is freaking WIDE, and 2-up blows on it (or so I read).

As I understand it the '08 has no PV's. This is good. Can this ski be ridden stock without immediate mods? As in, do I have to do the usual GPR mods like pump seal kit, grates, plates, tunnel reinf. and all that jazz?

Can it be enjoyed right out of the crate or do I have to immediately start throwing money at a brand new ski?

Any other thoughts on the GP1200 vs. GP1300R debate, please, chime in and help me decide one way way or the other.

Riding style will be occasional 2-up, in Florida's bays and sometimes out to the reefs. Conditions will vary from glass to mild chop to rarely the heavy stuff. I'd like to tow a tube every now and then with an add-on (and very removable) mirror. Won't happen much tho. Mostly cruising with other boats between the mischievous solo rip sessions. I'd like to jump a mild wave or two. Maybe some light touring in downtown Miami.

Shoot any thoughts at me, fellas!

+1
    Well, since I own both I know I can give you a fair comparison between the two.

Performance: Stock for Stock the 1300 is going to beat a GP1200 all day long in any water condition. My modified GP will beat a stock 1300 by 4-6 ski lengths and the race is over is the first 4 seconds. Two up on a GPR is not any worse than 2-up on a GP.

Comfort & Storage: The wide seat takes some getting used to. There are certain positions you will never get comfortable on the GPR that are comfortable on the GP. You will get over it. The GP is much more practicle in my case when it comes storing beverages (the cold refreshing kind).

Modified Comparison: From 0-60 it is close between my two. From a 40 punch the GPR will pull on the GP after the first two seconds and keep pulling. At 69 where my GP stops, the GPR is still happily pulling and your eyes are starting to water and your thinking this is awesome, damn I am crazy and other things start going through your mind and the GPS lights up in the 77mph range. Nice. As for as snap and responsiveness the GP wins. It is more nimble and can be thrown around easier.

You can ride a stock 1300 straight from the dealer without having to do anything. You need to get a R&D grate though, mainly for safety reasons (even when stock). As soon as you doing anthing else I highly recommend reinforcing the tunnel. Hope this helps.

And yes in my opinion the 08 GPR is beautiful and if money was no object I would buy one just to have one.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback, Brandon. Does clear a few things up.

Powerwise I plan to keep either one stock as reliability is #1 concern and I don't plan on doing any racing. Hull bolt-ons would pretty much be the only mods I'd look at.

I guess I'm trying to decide if a new GP1300R is worth the extra +/- $6,000...

Are they good long-term boats say 10+ years? What do you think resale will be like? Being the last of its kind the '08 should be pretty decent for 2-stroke fans.

Has anything really changed on the '08 from prior years?

+1
    2005 they switched to high performance pump and no powervalves. 2005-2008 are same i think. 2005 you can find in 4-6k range.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    What do you guys think of this? It's local and he's looking for $6800.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yamah...QQcmdZViewItem

Good deal? Good ski?

+1
    It looks clean. The 05 has the updated pump shoe inserts, the upgraded pump and should run 65-66 in the heat, bone stock. You also don't have to buy waveater clips to prevent dropping a powervalve in the cylinder because they don't have powervalves. Go check it out IMO.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks, Brandon.

Are these good long-term skis? Reliable and such? It's much more complicated than the good old GP models with carbs and minimal electrics. The new stuff could be expensive to fix. Anyone ever have any problems with these? ECUs/sensors/fuel pumps/OPAS?

Also, 50-something hours is a little high for an '06, huh? Maybe it just shows how good he took care of it, being it has that many hours and it still looks mint.

What compression numbers should the 1300 blow?

$6800 seem fair?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CleanSC View Post
    Thanks, Brandon.

Are these good long-term skis? Reliable and such? It's much more complicated than the good old GP models with carbs and minimal electrics. The new stuff could be expensive to fix. Anyone ever have any problems with these? ECUs/sensors/fuel pumps/OPAS? Just like anything mechanical, its only as good as you take care of it.

Also, 50-something hours is a little high for an '06, huh? Maybe it just shows how good he took care of it, being it has that many hours and it still looks mint. 50 is not too bad for someone in your area.

What compression numbers should the 1300 blow? Approx 120

$6800 seem fair? Seems fair to me.

+1
    I have 105 hours on my 06. $6800 is a decent price for that ski with the trailer. I paid $10,800 OTD(taxes included) with trailer,cover and 4 year extended warranty. I put nothing down and i still owe $8100(more than its worth) but it's ok. With the warranty, im going to run this puppy to death more than once.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I'm starting to look much harder at this option. I will check out the ebay ski mentioned above and I know Riva South down in Key Largo has an '06 or '07 sitting on the lot. I will check that one out this weekend and see what kind of deal I can squeeze out of them. Anyone have an idea on figures for that?

Anything special I should check on the '06 when I inspect it besides compression and the usual visuals? I have the GP1200 inspections down to a science. Wondering if the '06 has any special things I should look out for.

Any other experiences or opinions are more than welcomed! Keep 'em coming, fellas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information