Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris Cylinder temperatures

Please help!! I was testing my SLT 750 dry and with the water hose. In both cases, the cylinder toward the front is very hot while the one in the back is cool. The one in the middle is in between. does it mean the one in the back is missing spark or fuel? or is this normal? I only run the machine for about 3 minutes. How can I tell if a cylinder is not working? thanks.

+1
    Normal on the hose, check the temps while it's in the water idling on the trailer.
    You can verify temp with a temp strip or infrared temp gun?

I saw this first was with the garden hose, so I thought the water is closet to the aft cylinder but when the is no water running, the front cylinder get hot very fast while the back on is cool. Can these engine idle on 1 or 2 cylinder? thx

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    We have a well here,so the water gets real cold...When I had mine on the hose this summer the back 2 cyls. were almost sweating from the cold water,the front you could hardly hold your hand on it.If you think you have a bad cyl. run a compression test,Idle,not normally form what I've seen.

When mine had the water bar still on, mine did the exact same thing and it really bothered me. Then, I was educated on here that I may need to pinch the "incoming" hose from the pump shut. Possibly something in my thermostat assembly was bad, allowing that water to just exit down the hose to the pump. It's worth a look. Clamp that hose from the pump shut to force the water through the motor, maybe it'll help. My mag cylinder still ran warmer than the others on the trailer, but it wasn't a skillet anymore.

I have since switched over to pissers.

Thank you all for the info.

Question what are pissers?

hi all new to pwc's been on 2 stroke dirt bike's for year's just wondering what are the pisser's i have read about being mentioned? if someone had a picture that would be cool i just bought a 95 sl 750 holed #3 piston and a running 96 sl900 running i was a diesl mechanic for 15 year's this kinda work is easy for me but new to some of the technology

+1
    Here's a good thread...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...hlight=pissers

A little hint: on a 750 with a holed number 3 slug, DEFINATELY check your crank index.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPolaris View Post
    I saw this first was with the garden hose, so I thought the water is closet to the aft cylinder but when the is no water running, the front cylinder get hot very fast while the back on is cool. Can these engine idle on 1 or 2 cylinder? thx
    My 780 was idleing on the front 2 cylinders. I had the same issue as you. I 1st checked compression, and found ok. I changed spark plugs and still wouldn't fire on the pto cyl. I could let it idle and pull the plug wire on the pto and nothing would change. If I pulled the center or mag plug wire, it would die. I then pulled the spark plug boots and cut the wire 1/3 of an inch off and re-attached boots. Had the same problem still.
    I even swapped plug wires between cylinders (650-780 fires all 3 at the same time) and still had the same problem on the pto cyl only.
    I checked the stator and found it ohm'd out ok. I swapped the cdi from my 650, and all cylinders were firing great. My new cdi should be here any day now.

I didn't realize how old this post was. Anyone know what the outcome was?
    Last edited by starflight; 11-12-2007 at 09:51 AM.

+1
    MUD, Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

Holed piston may also be an issue with fuel supply, common problem with the 750 if the fuel system is not up to par.
    Do a search, you'll easily find everything you need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information