Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heads off how many times?

How often can the heads on my '96 SLX 780 come off prior to the gaskets likely failing?
    (I've always thought 1 time, but I've been led to believe they are somewhat reusable).

If they arent dry rotted, you can reuse them two or three times, but if you take the heads off and then a year latter, take them off again, you need to replace them. I generally replace all the gaskets everytime I take something off to work on it. You are better off that way, but if the gaskets are still pretty new and arent rotten, you can reuse them.

BarefootPolaris

+1
    I've had the heads off my 780 6-7 times on the same gaskets. I clean them in the parts washer, dry, and apply 2 light coats of copper spray. I wouldn't suggest it, but it has worked for me.

u can coat them with high tack or similar
    Last edited by ZMANN; 09-24-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've had the heads off my 780 6-7 times on the same gaskets. I clean them in the parts washer, dry, and apply 2 light coats of copper spray. I wouldn't suggest it, but it has worked for me.
    +1 Done it 4 or 5 times already with no effects to the gasket that I can tell. Each time I clean them, and apply fresh copper spray. Let 1 coat somewhat setup, then apply another light coat. I let em hang on a bent up coat hanger for 10 or so minutes while I do other stuff, then reassemble. Apply anti-sieze to bolts/nuts, and torque down as specified in a star pattern.

+1
    Why are you taking them off so much?? You can usually use them a couple times depending on the gasket composition, and other factors.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mystahagy View Post
    +1 Done it 4 or 5 times already with no effects to the gasket that I can tell. Each time I clean them, and apply fresh copper spray. Let 1 coat somewhat setup, then apply another light coat. I let em hang on a bent up coat hanger for 10 or so minutes while I do other stuff, then reassemble. Apply anti-sieze to bolts/nuts, and torque down as specified in a star pattern.
    I too am guilty. Bruce, it's because I want a good view of my piston wash. And/or to post pics of them for opinions from the vets on here. Many newbs here doing mods for the first time and are worried about the dreaded "holed piston" disease we see so much of. IMO piston wash is like going to the doctor to see what's wrong. And a plug chop is like your mother telling you what's wrong. I trust the doctor, sorry mom!!!

I think it a good thing! I tried every measure on my 650 and when I pulled my heads to go to a 750 I was minutes away from a holed piston again! with all the mods and jetting I still almost lost another piston and it wasn't the same as the first! ! I can't swing a bore scope so I have no problem pulling the head, but my Yami's aren't that easy so I need a plan B for those

+1
    Get one of those little lites that you can put thru the plug hole. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not that hard to do.

I have 2 lights Watcon and a maglight fiber optic but I can't see like I used to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information