Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1

    Attwood Bilge blower

    I know Earthshaker has installed one and I am interested in any results or opinions he has to offer.

    Here is my idea and why I think it is a good idea. I have multiple ways of air getting in the hull other than the 4 vent hoses. I have removed the rear hoses completely and cut the front hoses short. If I remember correctly 3 of the hose holes should be capable of supplying the engine air, so adequate engine air I do not think will be a problem.

    I want to add the blower to one of the rear vent hose locations and suck air out of the hull. I think the rear is the best location because presently the front part of the hull gets plenty of ventilation and placing the blower in the rear blowing out should create a draft to remove all heated air to the rear and provide more circulation than what occurs naturally. I started thinking about this because everytime I trailor the ski lots of heat always escapes from the rear hoses and I have added more ventilation to the front but the rear has had nothing but the hoses removed.

    So thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by spaulding; 09-24-2007 at 08:54 PM.


  2. #2
    snapper455
    Guest
    My expirience with this boat is once you draw more than 4 amps more than whats already being consumed from the charging system the motor will act eratic and cut out sometimes after a long run. and your batt indicator will flash almost nonstop.

  3. #3
    i think you would be better off to turn the blower around and put it in one of the front two holes (if powering it wont be a problem) positively pressuring the hull will force air out as well as providing more air for motor

  4. #4
    first you need to find out how many CFM the engine naturally requires and then see how big of a bilge blower you could safely run on the current electrical system. I read somewhere that a bilge blower in this application would be basically useless because of the amount of air the motor already draws would far out weight what a blower could supply ???????????

  5. #5
    Im following Chris on this one. The fan would have to be one out of a 4x4 truck radiator to even come close to the amount of consumption this motor draws.

  6. #6
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern CA Coast
    Posts
    1,616
    +1
    2
    My blower system is still slightly a work in progress and am down to deciding aux batt or not, relocate stock or add add'l oddessey batt in place of my omitted 2nd waterbox. If i was not running a bilge, i'd probably relocate stock only and keep my battery tender busy religiously. Snapper's words are true, the charging system is delicate, and would figure the balance of the electrical system is sensitive. Thanks for indicating your amp draw findings....makes me feel a little better on using the stock system for one fan. The good news is the attwood 3" draws 3.1 amps if i recall correctly.

    My original thought was to have the blower(s) up front until i was tipped off that placed up front may hinder performance, and after doing a little more math, I figured that even two blowers would not supply enough for the intake and certainly would draw too many amps for the stock charging system resulting in a must have isolated second power source. The Sea Doo folks have used bilge blowers, so i consulted them on the issue:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29079

    My logic for this mod now has to do with exhausting as much heat as possible inside the hull leaving the coolest air possible for the engine to draw from before a grudge match or speed runs, maybe to run more than that if charging system handles it well. It's a nice compliment to the improvements of keeping cool water passing inside the IC.

    I have worked on some alternatives rather than to shim my seat, removing hoses, or making penetrations where water can easily be ingested since offshore is 3 blocks away. LB2Cat is also in my mind for next year....mainly for the fun of it.

    It's neat to see some peeps working on different variations of the extra air inlet too.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    My blower system is still slightly a work in progress and am down to deciding aux batt or not, relocate stock or add add'l oddessey batt in place of my omitted 2nd waterbox. If i was not running a bilge, i'd probably relocate stock only and keep my battery tender busy religiously. Snapper's words are true, the charging system is delicate, and would figure the balance of the electrical system is sensitive. Thanks for indicating your amp draw findings....makes me feel a little better on using the stock system for one fan. The good news is the attwood 3" draws 3.1 amps if i recall correctly.

    My original thought was to have the blower(s) up front until i was tipped off that placed up front may hinder performance, and after doing a little more math, I figured that even two blowers would not supply enough for the intake and certainly would draw too many amps for the stock charging system resulting in a must have isolated second power source. The Sea Doo folks have used bilge blowers, so i consulted them on the issue:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29079

    My logic for this mod now has to do with exhausting as much heat as possible inside the hull leaving the coolest air possible for the engine to draw from before a grudge match or speed runs, maybe to run more than that if charging system handles it well. It's a nice compliment to the improvements of keeping cool water passing inside the IC.

    I have worked on some alternatives rather than to shim my seat, removing hoses, or making penetrations where water can easily be ingested since offshore is 3 blocks away. LB2Cat is also in my mind for next year....mainly for the fun of it.

    It's neat to see some peeps working on different variations of the extra air inlet too.
    ES,

    you touched on what I was trying to say. I never planned on trying to supply the engine air with the fan. I wanted a better way to extract heat from the hull and a better way of pulling heated air away from the engine and getting it out the hull quicker.

    Basicallly, my idea is to put a fan at the rear and pull air out and exhaust it out the rear.

    Jason

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    first you need to find out how many CFM the engine naturally requires and then see how big of a bilge blower you could safely run on the current electrical system. I read somewhere that a bilge blower in this application would be basically useless because of the amount of air the motor already draws would far out weight what a blower could supply ???????????

    I still have three holes to draw from plus other holes I have added to draw from. Choking the engine by putting a fan on one rear hole will not cause a problem in my application. Thanks for the reply.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper455 View Post
    My expirience with this boat is once you draw more than 4 amps more than whats already being consumed from the charging system the motor will act eratic and cut out sometimes after a long run. and your batt indicator will flash almost nonstop.
    Thanks for the info. As stated by ES the current draw is 3.1 and with your information if I do install one I may just run it sparingly to extract heat after hard runs.

  10. #10
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern CA Coast
    Posts
    1,616
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper455 View Post
    My expirience with this boat is once you draw more than 4 amps more than whats already being consumed from the charging system the motor will act eratic and cut out sometimes after a long run. and your batt indicator will flash almost nonstop.
    Snapper, can you elaborate and fill us in on how you found the 4 amp load max?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Attwood fan blowers
    By vxrpete8 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
  2. Attwood Bilge Blower performance gains
    By earthshaker in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
  3. Bilge Blower Is Week' Then Gets Strong' Is it Going Bad?
    By holdnon72 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 08:37 PM
  4. Dual Inline Bilge Blowers
    By CrazyA in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 03:14 PM
  5. Question People Running Attwood Turbo Blowers
    By 1FastTrespiper in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •