South Florida Recommendations

I've noticed we have quite a few South Floridians here so I've got some questions...

I'm headed down to the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area in a few weeks. I plan to make a vacation out of it but could use some suggestions as I don't really know the area.

I'm looking for:
    A really good resort / hotel...
    One or more Everglades tours, trips, etc...
    A good deep sea fishing charter company

Other area attractions, must-sees and recommendations?

I just started doing some research on the area, but if you have any ideas for me to check out, please let me know. thanks

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale ten+ years ago so my thoughts on most of what you asked may not be accurate today ( a lot changes in ten+ years). While living in the area, I worked at Harbour Town Marina, Bahia Mar Marina, and Pier 66 Marina. At Pier 66, I was Marina Operations Manager. If your looking for the best Deep Sea fishing experience, I would wander around Pier 66, and Bahia Mar and ask the Marina Dock attendants. They will, by far, give you the best, most accurate info on who is good or not. Believe me, the right boat and captain makes all the difference in the world to your experience. Are you a Diver, if so, you might want to explore that route to.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    My favorite resort/hotel is the
    Boca Raton Resort and Club.

Just stay away from the cougars

Just as smclear said Pier 66 has a good fleet of fishing boats

If you want a airboat tour in the Everglades to see a few gators and other wildlife, go to either Saw Grass Airboats tours or Billybobs, they are both off of rt27 in south west Broward county.

Got to go to South Beach and Riverfront on a weekend night...if you like urban wildlife.
    Riverfront gets going about 12:00 am and gets crowded with some of the hottest woman you will ever see imho

allcool

Just thought of something. If you're going to be down there the last weekend of October, you might want to check out the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. If you're a boat enthusiast, there's nothing quite like it. I'd highly recommend it. On the downside, it will make the Deep Sea fishing excursion a little more difficult. All the marinas kick out the regulars to accomodate the show.

FYI - Bahia Mar has the largest "fleet" of charterboats. Again, ask the Marina staff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by armrdh2 View Post
    I've noticed we have quite a few South Floridians here so I've got some questions...

I'm headed down to the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area in a few weeks. I plan to make a vacation out of it but could use some suggestions as I don't really know the area.

I'm looking for:
    A really good resort / hotel...http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/ or http://www.bahiamarhotel.com/ or http://pier66.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
    One or more Everglades tours, trips, etc...http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/
    A good deep sea fishing charter company-" FYI - Bahia Mar has the largest "fleet" of charterboats. Again, ask the Marina staff." Correct right across the street from the Marriot

Other area attractions, must-sees and recommendations? Must stop and eat here http://www.joesstonecrab.com/. Got to South Beach on friday or saturday make a day evening out of it.. Ft Lauderdale Beach Place is ok for one or two nights..Downtown Ft lauderdale is good like Riverwalk Clubs, bars Restaurants...

I just started doing some research on the area, but if you have any ideas for me to check out, please let me know. thanks
    Just some Ideas

thanks for the replies everyone. I'm checking out the suggestions now, good stuff. If anyone has anything else to add... let me know.

Question about the fishing charter... I've never done it before, so do I just goto the marina ready to go out? Are the boat captians around ready to go out or do I need to ask the marina staff for contact information and make arrangements by phone?

The fleet at Bahia Mar is independent of the Marina. Just walk up to the 'chosen' boat and inquire. Individual schedules will determine exactly when the boat/crew would be ready to leave.

As for the Marina staff, I only suggest you ask them about the different chartes available. They will have the best and most reliable info. That is all they can provide you though. They can't schedule or make arrangements for you - just info.

I second "Joe's Stone Crab" on Miami Beach. absolutely the best for Stone Crabs.

Thread Information