Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1

'05 RXT/GTX RR IC install question... O-ring?

I'm down to blocking off the stock inter-cooler hole and am stumped. The instructions say to remove one of the O-rings from the stock IC and install it on the block of plate. I see the groove that has been milled for the O-ring, however, my stock IC has 1" wide flat bands, not O-rings. Anyone had this problem and what was your fix. I can't seem to get the plate in with one of these "bands" installed.

Thanks,

Jeff

+1
    Jeff - read this thread, it might be helpful. If still unclear then go to the source...Hulk

http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewt...ighlight=oring

+1
    the problem Jeff is having is there is not an O ring on his stock intercooler. Instead, its a rubber band about 1" wide. The blockoff plate is supposed to utilize one of the O rings from the stock IC, but in this case he doesn't have one.

This is the first time i have seen this. Im wondering if its just a 05 RXT/Limited thing.

Here is a pic of Jeff's intercooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_rxt_ic_161.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	143  

+1
    Jeff, Jerry, that is exactly what my problem was in my post about the same problem ... and I have a 2005 RXP. I must have spent two hours on this - what I finally did was cut down one of the rubber 'bands' so thin that it functioned as an O-ring and only fit in the slot in the IC blockoff plate. That slid in with some resistance - perfect. So, I put some Ultra Black on that and on the end of the IC blockoff plate, installed, and tightened it up carefully. I will let it set at least 24 hours before firing to make sure the Ultra Black has time to set up thoroughly.

I eventually realized that the IC blockoff plate needed an O-ring ... and I had two 'O-bands' from the stock intercooler, which did NOT work. Once I trimmed down a little piece to fit, it worked fine.

As an aside, my stock intercooler came right out without loosening up the intake - I just wiggled it a little and it popped right out, altho the 'O-band' fell in the intake. Luckily I was able to fish it out quite easily.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Vern,

I'm glad I'm not alone

I'm going to look for an O-ring tomorrow, but will use your method if I can't find one.

And thanks!... I read your thread the other day and saved time by just sliding the stocker right out I didn't really want to un-bolt the intake. The extra length of the ski came in handy for more than rough water!

Oh yeah, my hoses were to short also Had to cut up my old exhaust tube for parts.

Jeff

+1
    I guess we learned something else new/different with the '05's. I would think Jeff that you could find an O-ring at Home Depot or the like. Good news that you guys were able to get the stock IC out without much disassembly...that doesn't seem to be the case with the '04's.

Thread Information