Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2005 GP1300R what do i need for 70mph?

I am very excited, yesterday rode my new (to me) 2005 GP1300R for about 3 hrs. I was very pleased with it stock, but like so many of you, want to get more

so my starting budget of 500.00 What would you do? ( including free stuff :P )

How much will it cost me to get it to 70mph ? I will be doing all the labor and tuning myself.

I just ride on river long straight distances, so mostly looking top speed increases

Thanks

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16309

Start here. If you have any questions about any of the mods listed there you can use the search feature to find in depth discussions about any particular topic.

With $500.00 you wont get too far for now. If you are just looking for straight out speed, I would start with the following:

D Plate
    Intake grate
    Pump plug kit
    Quality Tach
    GPS
    Sponsons (if the river has a lot of high speed turns)
    Ride plate

I didnt know if you already had the electronics or not. If you dont, this list is already more than your $500.00 budget.

+1
    I have a tiny tach and GPS. Baseline speed before touching anything was 64.6 with trim in nuetral setting ( didnt try others )

I am hoping someone who is running in the high 70s or 80s will hook me up with used parts that will get me to 70

Sounds like ride plate, grate, dplate and prop will give biggest gains for money?

thanks for links reading now
    David

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    I have a tiny tach and GPS. Baseline speed before touching anything was 64.6 with trim in nuetral setting ( didnt try others )

I am hoping someone who is running in the high 70s or 80s will hook me up with used parts that will get me to 70

Sounds like ride plate, grate, dplate and prop will give biggest gains for money?

thanks for links reading now
    David
    And get some air in there too. You can run 70 with the stock prop, so save your money IMO. The speed is in the shoe and rideplate set-up.

+1
    Without a doubt, the first part you should bolt on is an intake grate. The stock one will throw you off very easily once you start to modify anything! If you ride mostly on a river the water probably isnt that choppy. An 800 grate would suit you best. Use a 1200 grate in rougher conditions. The next thing I would get would be a rideplate. Spend the money on a machined plate. They are trued and get the nose out of the water which increases speed greatly over an unmachined plate. Personally, I use an Island Racing plate although I've heard good things about plates from Jim's Performance. Both will have similar top speeds and handling. Do some research on here for free mod info and implement them as needed. This should get you to 70 pretty quickly. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck!

Chine Walker
    RUN:
    This is the ski you mentioned in a previous post, right? Do you have any pics of her? You got it with low 25-30 hrs, right?

Regards,
    jp

The biggest bang for the buck IMO on a stock boat has got to be a Jim's modded plate and having the pump shoe sealed and set up properly. This mod alone could net you 3 to 4 MPH maybe more. Just remember it has to be set up properly this is the key to most everything on the GPR proper setup. The very next thing I would get is a new intake grate as the stock ones are bad news once you start to mod your boat. Goog luck.
    Last edited by injected2stroke; 09-26-2007 at 04:41 AM.

+1
    Thanks I will give Jim a call today and speak to him about it. Yes, this is same one I was going to look at last week. 4400 sitting on dual ski trailer. I also ended up buying a 98 gp1200 from him as well.
    Here are photos of the 2 skis

There were some scraps and gouges under hull from beaching. When installing ride plate, I will go ahead fill those in, true hull and respray bottom. What are you guys using to fill scratches with ? and then repaint? Marine tex?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6826964_1[1].jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	39877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gp1200.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	39878  

+1
    MarineTex is what you want for the nicks/gouges.

+1
    Would you respray after marine tex, or just fill, then sand and true hull?

Also, if I get the dynafly prop, what would be best pitch to put on it for my setup?
    I will buy and install rideplate,shoe and grate as well as true hull.

Out of gate acceleration isnt nearly as important as top speed and efficiency. Most our runs are for miles at time, not shorter blasts. I see some guys repitching to 15/25... whats best for my riding situation?

thanks again for all this wealth of information!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information