Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow A new approach for Keith's MSX/Virage ambitions

Well, Bernie has put a bug into my ear, and now I am rethinking how I am going to get onto the water...

It would seem that most, if not all 2003 issue Polaris MSX boats are less than ideal, primarily with respect to hull construction, and ongoing Fitch teething issues, etc.

So, if I give up on the idea of getting on the water at all before winter fully sets in, then it opens up some options.

Options include;
    A) Buying a 2004 MSX150 boat with damaged motor, and having someone insert a carb'ed 2-stroker, 1200cc, or perhaps a CrazyA style 1300cc motor (pipes?).

B) Buying the same 2004 MSX150 hull, installing a Fitch'ed 1200 from a Virage TXi, creating a 2004 MSX140 equivilent.

C) Buying an excellent condition 2004 MSX140 from the US over the winter, hoping a decent example will surface at a decent price, and keeping it stock.

D) Waiting and hoping a decent 2004 MSX140 will appear in Canada, at a decent price.

E) Buy one of the 2003 MSX140's around here, hoping it is one of the less badly made units...

I'm going to be offline for a few hours, will check in later to see what folks have to say!
    Last edited by K447; 09-26-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Don't forget, if you install a 1200 into an MSX150, you'll have to completely redo the entire electrical and fuel systems. Not that it's not possible, but will require extra work/money/patience. The MSX is surely a nice hull, but I do enjoy how playful my Virage is, especially for a 3 seater. I'd love to have an MSX, but I dont think I'd sell my Virage for one. It is also easier and cheaper to get it to go fast. In an ideal world, I'd have both.

+1
    Option F
    Purchase a Matrix and then it won't matter what year it is. It'll run right at 68-69MPH, be reliable BUT carbureted and in need of some race gas.

If F is not acceptable I'd go with the 04 MSX140 and be happy as can be.

+1
    Option G. Buy a MSX Hull and install a RXP Motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Don't forget, if you install a 1200 into an MSX150, you'll have to completely redo the entire electrical and fuel systems. Not that it's not possible, but will require extra work/money/patience. The MSX is surely a nice hull, but I do enjoy how playful my Virage is, especially for a 3 seater. I'd love to have an MSX, but I dont think I'd sell my Virage for one. It is also easier and cheaper to get it to go fast. In an ideal world, I'd have both.
    Actually, I am planning to buy two boats (quite a jump from owning zero boats, but enjoying riding friend's Polaris), both at least 3 seaters, but normally carrying one or two riders. So a Virage TX (maybe TXi) and an MSX something, is certainly a possibility.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Option F
    Purchase a Matrix and then it won't matter what year it is. It'll run right at 68-69MPH, be reliable BUT carbureted and in need of some race gas.

If F is not acceptable I'd go with the 04 MSX140 and be happy as can be.
    Well, where are these available Matrixes? I am under the impression they are few and far between, and when one comes up for sale, there is LOTS of buyer interest.

Is it realistic to hunt for a Matrix?

Race gas... Hmmm, not my idea of an easy to run boat. I was even hoping to avoid needing higher octane pump gas, but I am getting used to the idea of putting up with running 92 octane. I would rather not carry extra gas on the boat, and want to be able to cruise in places that I will need to buy fuel to continue onward, or get home.

Can a Maxtrix be detuned just enough to make it happy with 92 octane?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Option G. Buy a MSX Hull and install a RXP Motor.

Al are you in for another project? I have the MSX and the Sea-Doo engine Or should we just keep it in the GP1200R?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris 2004 MSX 150 001.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	39841  

+1
    I have to say, I do like how the MSX rides through the rough water. I just do not like the seat when you ride 2 up. The other person always slides forward. Well I guess that can be a good thing.

+1

+1
    What is your budget?

A simple search for "MSX" on craiglist in Buffalo, Ann Arbour(MI) and Detroit brought up a few.

Also googling "MSX" in google Canada brought up an option or two.

Forest Farm Equipment has one that they should be willing to deal on since there is no demand for them in that area.

You can buy Seadoo 4 strokes for around $5000 US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information