Angry 1994 SL 750 - Running Lean

Hello All,

I have been reading your post for the past few months and I have received some great information. Now I need your HELP!

When we bought the ski (1994 SL 750) it was running great for about 3 months then the problem started. It would bog when taking off, but when holding the choke open it would go. I have read the posts on the subject, I check the Reeds and the reeds were broke in the middle carb. Ordered new reeds and replaced and that did the trick. Now we are having issues after taking off it bogs however if you pull up on the choke it will run in a straight line for a little bit.

Now this is what else we have done, rebuilt the carbs, no major issues, new diagphrams, new fuel pump (not a triple), replaced spark plugs, compression check 120 ct, 115 aft, 115 front, and the crank index is fine.

It is still running lean, after putting it to factory spec on the carbs. I have tried to adjust it to a quarter more open and no help.

Next step we have sprayed starting fluid into the carbs while running and it runs like it is brand new.

Please help!

Thanks everyone

Whitey770

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!!

Have you checked the fuel lines? Check the lines that run from the fuel pick-up to the bottom of the tank. The 1994's have screens on them and fill with crap...

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check also the pulse line from the engine to the pump.If it's cracked It will allow the engine to suck air and also create low fuel pumping.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do a leak down test. It will tell you if you're sucking air.

Well we went ahead and looked at the fuel lines and the screens were fine no build up. Checked the pulse line to the engine that was fine. No cracks. H

How do you do a leak down test?

Thanks again for the help

Whitey770

+1
    Seal up the exhaust pipe and carbs air-tight. Then apply 9 psi or vacuum to the pulse fitting. It should hold for a few minutes. If it doesn't, you have an air leak. Use soapy water to help locate the leak. Most common spots are the crank seals and intake area gaskets.

Ill try that this morning and see what we get ill let you know. Thanks again.

Whitey770

Well its been awhile but i think we finally figured it out. The problem ended up being the O-rings around the needle and seat. What a pain. We took apart just about everything on that ski and it turned out to be o-rings. O well just in time to enjoy the nice 90 degree weather here in Cleveland tomorrow.

Thanks agian guys for all who helped. See you at the bar at Whiskey Island or Geneva on the Lake.

Whitey770

+1
    Whitey where do you ride? I'm usually at Fairport Harbor...

Thread Information