Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Gas valve installation help

Guys, this is my first experience with both the valves period. For the first time I removed the valve on #3.

I cleaned up in there the best I could then slid the gas valve in and made sure it was not hitting anything when in the down position. It cant be this easy.

The head and pipe is still on the ski - I did read something about clearences to the piston.

I assume need to remove the head and rotate the piston down and measure the valve/piston clearence ?

What is the groove in the Gas PV blade for ?

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...e+installation

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...e+installation

the groove must face down. It is to allow any oil build up to drain

+1
    RX951 - thanks for those links. They are what gave me the nerve to get this started.

Is there no way to do it w/out removing the exhaust manifold ?

I didnt see anywhere in those threads how to verify the piston to valve clearence. Is it that I am over thinking it ?

+1
    I had to remove the top portion of the exhaust to do it. you can leave the ex. manifold on. removing that portion of the pipe gives you more room to determine fitment of everything. I know its extra work, but once they are on, thats it. I have over 150 hours on mine and never had a leak or problem on my gas valves

As for clearance, when the motor was on the bench on the intital assembly, I didn't use a feeler gauge or anything......I did have the head off to looked at how the valve it sat while it was in the down position while I rotated the crank by hand on the bench to ensure everything moved smoothly and slid the valve up and down to ensure there are no kinks or binds in the valve assembly. Make sure when you screw down that cap, you don't twist the rubber boot any or wrinkle it. Glas cleaner allows for a clean installation of everything on the top side of the billet adapter.

+1
    I used a piston ring to check clearance (Spud's advice) it was easy to check this way on the bench. With the cylinders still in the ski I held the valve down with my finger and rotated the crank to feel if there was any interference.

One thing I found on the valves was to snug all the mounting bolts and check and see that the valve moved up and then dropped down by itself without binding there is enough slop in the mounting holes to cause it to bind.

Did you get some kind of plugs for the PV shaft holes? I really did not like the threaded plugs Riva recommended once installed you can never go back to stock and in my opinion this is wrong. I know Fercho and Lowell had aluminum plugs you glued in with JB weld that can be removed if necessary.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post

Did you get some kind of plugs for the PV shaft holes? I really did not like the threaded plugs Riva recommended once installed you can never go back to stock and in my opinion this is wrong. I know Fercho and Lowell had aluminum plugs you glued in with JB weld that can be removed if necessary.
    I planned to use a Nut/bolt on each side sealed with high temp silicone. I was under the impression the plugs werent available anymore.

+1
    Fercho had aluminum ones send him a PM. I will be talking to Lowell today I will ask if he has any of them.

+1
    Lowell does have them ! I sent him an email this morning. I should have them ordered by end of day.

Still need to find the guts to pull the exhuast manifold.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Lowell does have them ! I sent him an email this morning. I should have them ordered by end of day.

Still need to find the guts to pull the exhuast manifold.
    Pretty sure the manifold can stay on. U-pipe must be removed though.

+1
    I had to pull the manifold, valve and adapter would not clear on #1 I think #2 is a problem also. I will go out to the garage and mock it up to make sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information