Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

History of and Installing RR Lightweight Retainers and Shims

Looking to my fellow veteran 4-tec forum members for some intuition on the history of previous practices when using the rotax racing valvetrain components.

How many shims come with the kit? 12, no?
    Has anyone ever installed more than one shim per valve spring?
    Has anyone heard of installing 1 shim on the intake side and 2 on the exhaust side?
    Vice versa, hear of 2 on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust side?

I have a few heads, I have a few RR valvetrain kits, and I have a few variations in the installations by previous owners/installers that raised an eyebrow or two...

Let me know your input or what you know, please... even if its by PM if it's a trade secret

Thanks

you might aqsk reid he has done 4 of them that i know of he also did mine maybe he will have some imput

+1
    I have used the riva set-up only, but does the rr specify installed spring hgt. or supply open/closed pressures? In racing applications, many times the same spring# may be used w/ 2 or 3 diff. cam grinds by shimming for a shorter installed height (more pressure).

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    ... many times the same spring# may be used w/ 2 or 3 diff. cam grinds by shimming for a shorter installed height (more pressure).
    Exactly... but then again, there is also the possibility of "spring bind" rearing it's ugly head.
    Last edited by 05Limited; 09-25-2007 at 10:29 PM.

+1
    RR springs are a waste of time and money. Some have been less than stock spring rates. Shim to 125 lbs to 8900 rpm. MAKE SURE springs don't coil bind! IMO RR and riva retainers are a waste of time and are brittle and will break. Then..... it gets noisy for a few seconds.

The more ornate you seem to get the more problems you have. Example; Ferra valves and the single groove theory. So much ciht is sold to ppl to give them something that can be acheived through simpler means and with NO RISK. So, WHY...spend the money and take the chance. Instead of investing in parts why not invest in a competent head man who knows the ropes. So many times I've been outrun by relatively stock ski's that we're in perfect tune and lasted the whole race.

Does anyone know the valve hieght on a new stock head? (Off the cam deck)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Exactly... but then again, there is also the possibility of "spring bind" rearing it's ugly head.
    This is why installed height is so important. U take coil bind height and compare to install height and make sure u have max lift value+.050 afterward or u will have a bad day. If they double-shimmed the intake maybe some guru figures that the intake valve is heavy compared to exhaust? I would raise a brow or 2 myself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    RR springs are a waste of time and money. Some have been less than stock spring rates. Shim to 125 lbs to 8900 rpm. MAKE SURE springs don't coil bind! IMO RR and riva retainers are a waste of time and are brittle and will break. Then..... it gets noisy for a few seconds.

The more ornate you seem to get the more problems you have. Example; Ferra valves and the single groove theory. So much ciht is sold to ppl to give them something that can be acheived through simpler means and with NO RISK. So, WHY...spend the money and take the chance. Instead of investing in parts why not invest in a competent head man who knows the ropes. So many times I've been outrun by relatively stock ski's that we're in perfect tune and lasted the whole race.

Does anyone know the valve hieght on a new stock head? (Off the cam deck)
    The Riva retainers are titanium and appear to be pretty good to me. Still too much money as 16 ti retainers cost 130.00 in my world, and springs are another 100.00 Riva learned from corvette part vendors.....300% tax baby!

+1
    JAWZ!!... just the man i was hoping would voice his 2 cents in this thread.... somehow i knew you would have had plenty of real world experience with this

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    This is why installed height is so important. U take coil bind height and compare to install height and make sure u have max lift value+.050 afterward or u will have a bad day. If they double-shimmed the intake maybe some guru figures that the intake valve is heavy compared to exhaust? I would raise a brow or 2 myself.
    that's exactly what is done... 2 shims under the valve seals on the intake side... 1 shim under the exhaust valve seals.

Rotax racing retainers.... titanium or aluminum? ... you can definitely feel a very substantial difference in weight between the stock retainer and the rotax racing retainer..

+1
    not aluminium.......not against spring steel, big no-no

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information