Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruising the Strait of Juan De Fuca

Gentlemen, I may be in over my head. I signed up for my first endurance race this weekend, 40 miles, from Pt Angeles to Victoria BC and back. I got an ARC Li-Ion 675 lumen head lamp strapped on my head in case there is fog (thanks for the tip Mitch). My compass and depth finder got ground to bits recently though, and my ability to accurately enter and read waypoints on my GPS is still kinda suspect. Small craft warnings in the Strait today. Eshkr, I read your post about LB/Cat next year, how about packing the car and headin up here for a tuneup? Arco, tell the CG flyboys to keep an eye out for a blue Ultra will ya?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judefuca.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	39869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS Map 001.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	39870  

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Gentlemen, I may be in over my head. I signed up for my first endurance race this weekend, 40 miles, from Pt Angeles to Victoria BC and back. I got an ARC Li-Ion 675 lumen head lamp strapped on my head in case there is fog (thanks for the tip Mitch). My compass and depth finder got ground to bits recently though, and my ability to accurately enter and read waypoints on my GPS is still kinda suspect. Small craft warnings in the Strait today. Eshkr, I read your post about LB/Cat next year, how about packing the car and headin up here for a tuneup? Arco, tell the CG flyboys to keep an eye out for a blue Ultra will ya?
    I come up from time to time. No plans for future at the moment. Maybe Arco's chopper can snatch me up.

There is this super nice CG chopper that flies out of SFO and cruises Mavericks nice and low. Jet powered and pretty damn fast.

You gotta post a pic of you with your ski all suited up.

SeaDoocer
    Man, do I envy you! My wife and I used to live in Seattle and going up to the San Juan Islands was a weekly thing for us.awesome mountain biking but I would love to be doing that Juan de Fuca Straight!! On a side note, I'd love to be there right now biking that Hurrican Ridge up to the top! 1 of the top 10 hardest bike treks in the USA...but abosolutely gorgeous at the top. Looking dead ahead at the Olympic range right in front of you!

Seadoocer, I know Hurricane Ridge quite well. Ive lived in the midwest and in CA but I always end up back here in WA. I wish some of you guys were coming up for this. In addition to the endurance race, there are going to be PWC CC and limited hydro races too. I'm going to try and prowl the pits and snap some pics if I see any trick set ups that might be of interest. I am a bit nervous. Down at the marina, this fisherman (who calls my ski a dinghy) was telling me "Orcas runnin in the strait chief (he thinks I look like Orca bait in my black neoprene)...if the fog, or the tankers, or the 10 footers dont getcha, watch out for the Orcas..." The guy looks and sounds just like Quint in Jaws. A bit disconcerting.

Name:	Killerwhales_jumping.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	40059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	at_sea%20(123).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	40060  

+1
    Blue,
    Good luck. I have been all over the country but never in the beautiful northwest. I don't know how fast the Killer whales are but when you see one under you maybe you can out run them before they suface and try to flip you like a seal. Just kidding.
    Hope the race turns out well and don't forget to be our super slueth of the great northwest when you walk through the pits. Snap those pics!
    Jimmy

SeaDoocer
    Not to add to the tension....lol My wife sent this to me today email.

A family was on holiday in Australia for a week and a half when the husband,
    his wife and their 15 year old son decided to go scuba diving.
    The husband is in the navy and has had some scuba experience.
    His son wanted a pic of his mum and dad in all their gear so he got the
    underwater camera. When it came to taking the pic the dad
    realized that the son looked like he was panicking as he took it and gave
    the "OK" hand sign to see if he was alright.

The son took the pic and swam to the surface and back to the boat as
    quickly as he could so the mum and dad followed to see if he was OK. When
    they got back to him he was scrambling onto the boat and absolutely
    shitting himself.

When the parents asked why, he said "there was a shark behind you" and
    the dad thought he was joking but the skipper of the boat said it was
    true and that they wouldn't believe him if he told them what it was.

As soon as they got back to the hotel they put the pic onto the laptop
    and this is what they saw.

Try and tell me you wouldn't have emptied your entire digestive system
    right at the point you saw it and would you have stayed to take the
    picture?

Name:	readbeforeopenning.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	40071  

Seadoocer, I know you are just trying to help but geez. One of my other buddies was thoughtful enough to send me this. Just hit "enter site" for the sound track... I'm leaving in the car right now. No sense trying to sleep at this point. I just loaded my spear gun in the bow.

http://www.jaws25.com/

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Seadoocer, I know you are just trying to help but geez. One of my other buddies was thoughtful enough to send me this. Just hit "enter site" for the sound track... I'm leaving in the car right now. No sense trying to sleep at this point. I just loaded my spear gun in the bow.

http://www.jaws25.com/
    Now, I wouldn't have gone that far....uhhh, nah!
    Hey, you'll be fine and it's going to be a great race and you'll love it! Stay focused and don't worry about the "what if's"..you're going to do well.
    We are anxiously awaiting your return so we can hear all about it.

SeaDoocer
    Well, has Blue made it back from the Abyss yet?

Six Footers in the Strait (But No Orcas)!

Yesterday, I successfully completed my first endurance race across the Strait sponsored by the Peninsula Water Sports Association. Here are some details:

The Field

11 jet skiers competed. The heavyweights were Larry and Jerry Ham of AZ and CA and Noble Racing (took 3rd at the 07 Mark Hahn Memorial Endurance Race). Just 2 Ultras, 2 Yammer 1300s, 1 Honda and the rest RXTs.

The Course

Straight line, Pt. Angeles to Esquimalt (small city west of entrance to Victoria BC) across the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Regroup in Esquimalt and then straight back to Pt. Angeles.

The Weather & Water Conditions

Small craft warnings in effect. 4 to 6 footers the whole way. Wind blown white caps. No fog, but spray in the face like a garden hose the whole way. Air and water temp in the 50s but sunny in BC.

My Equipment

Stock Ultra except for Riva ride plate. Carried 5galls on back and 3 up front. Gave away some gas in BC. Gas Cans held secure.

The Race

Shortly after we hit open ocean, 1/2 the pack pulled away. I watched their rooster tails and tried to keep my bearings. Halfway across, I couln't see anyone around except a guy on a Yammer 1300. We were riding at almost exactly the same speed. There was so much rocking and spray I couldn't see my GPS or the horizon. I decided to just follow the Yammer. We pulled into the small protected cove in Esquimalt. No one there but tv crews who pointed their cameras at us and started asking how we felt. Thats when we realized we were the first to finish the first leg of the race. Everyone else overshot the harbor. We had a good 15 minute wait before the hot shoes started to arrive. That was a fun 15 minutes.

Eventually everyone found their way to the cove. We regrouped and then saddled up for the ride back in deteriorating conditions. As before, the hot shoes pulled away quick and it wasn't long before all I could see was their rooster tails. I tried to stay close to Larry Ham & his RXT for a while. Larry is in his 60s but a real friendly guy and an awesome rider. I watched him slowly pull away but kept his rooster tail in view all the way back.

As it turned out, the hot shoes could not make up the time lost in their search for Esquimalt and I lucked my way to lowest ET. I'm not sure I really deserved it, but they gave me the trophy for #1. Today they told me they are double checking the split times but I already got the trophy stashed.

Lessons Learned

Navigation skills are crucial in offshore. If you are crummy with a GPS, make sure you know the right guy to follow. Next time, I will not use a handlebar GPS mount. Its too dangerous in big water where this is a risk of faceplants.

My physical conditioning was ok but its time to hit the gym on a regular basis. I'm glad I had a lot of prior experience riding in rain and the rough.

The constant water blast to the face was more than I was used to. I'm interested now in finding out if there are any splash guards that work.

I watched how Larry Ham skillfully manuvered through the waves. At times, it seemed almost effortless. I spent too much time in the air and bashing through the water. Its very important to be able to concentrate and read the most efficient line in big water.

Overall, I really like the Riva ride plate but I may go stock if I know the wave height will be 4 feet or more.

Sometimes the tortoise beats the hare and slow and steady wins the race.

Conclusion

I wanted to cross the Strait on my jet ski for a couple of years and this proved to be a great opportunity. I have a new confidence in my gear and a new motivation to work on conditioning and navigation skills. Thanks everyone for all the help over the season and thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Blue 182; 12-05-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information