Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SLT 750 starting problem

I have a 94 SLT 750 recently bought. The machine seem to be OK accept most of the time it does not start. when this happened, I tried the Choke, throttle, starting fluid... It cranks and cranks but no fire. The spark plu seem wet, the plugs sparks, compression at 120 psi. Others times when it start it run fine with pretty high idle. The man I bought it from said he just had the carb service and tune, sync. Please help!! with these 2 cycle engine, is there way you can make it start reliably such as carry new spark plugs, can of starting fluid, and extra battery????? Thanks

mmm well always make sure you have enough juice on the battery ,

starting fluid is a no go , it washs the oil off of the cly walls if you used poor some in a squirt bottle along with normal gas and 2 cly oil ,

but you have spark and compresion ? well either the carbs werent rebuilt or turned properly or these things called reeds , they are check valves that only flow one way in to the motor ,

but sounds like your carbs arnt working properly , hopefully one of the fugi guys will chime in

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Does it have old fuel in it?Just because someone says they did something,doesn't mean they did.Did he show you receipts.You might start with a new set of plugs.My 750 very seldom needs the choke at all to start when it was above 80 Degrees. If with new plugs and a full charged GOOD battery it still gives you problems,start looking at the fuel system,Drain and clean the fuel seperator also,Has it been updated to a triple outlet pump?

It seems to have a multiple outlet fuel pump but only 4 lines go in to it. In the middle it has a hole (1/8”) open to the out side look like a white diaphragm.

Pictures of the fuel pump please. Does not sound like a Mikuni.

Check for restrictor in return line to tank.

Check fuel lines, the On/Off/Reserve valve.

Bad fuel etc as stated above.

Carb Adjustment-while ski is in the water-

Mine starts with out the choke most times
    Attached Files Attached Files

Below are the pictures of the carb and fuel pump. The output of the fuel pump (2) go to the middle of the bottom rail with two T fitting. The toprail goes back to the tank but I don't see a restrictor per the diagram from Dorf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slt carb 006.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	40002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slt carb 002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	40003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slt carb 007.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	40004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slt carb 016.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	40005  

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    THAT IS NOT A TRIPLE PUMP,Don't know what type it is,someone else might.I would still get a triple outlet Mikuni,it will have 5 nozzles on it,1 fuel inlet,1 pulse inlet(vacuum),3 outlets,they run under $30.00 normally.

+1
    That is a high volume duel output pump 75lph. If the outlets are tee'ed between the carbs you should be fine. The restrictor may be installed in the return line aprox 1" from the end at the carb.

I was looking in the Mikuni website and found the pump looks like my. It is actually has 65 liters/hours flow. the 3 outlet one has 35 liters/hour flow. The other question is if you have a triple outlet go to each carb seperately, could one output goes bad cause uneven fuel on the 3 carbs. where the two ourlets from this one connected to the midpoint of the 3 carbs with 2 T fittings, this will create a fuel rail with all carbs see the same fuel pressure. This seem better. But I'm new to these stuffs so I will buy one of the triple outlet and connected per the diagram see if it help. What is the restrictor looks like??? I will replace the fuel lines, Please tell me what size fuel lines. THX
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by OldPolaris; 09-27-2007 at 04:14 PM.

+1
    The restrictor is a small brass slug that fits inside the fuel return hose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information