Newbie Here: Need advice on 1st jet boat

Hey all-

New here...registered a while back though.

OK, I had a Sea Doo pwc a few years back and it was my first watercraft ever. Had a blast but my young daughters were'nt too thrilled with it as they were young.

Now they're a bit older 8 1/2 & 6 and I think a jet boat woulkd be much more fun and practical for a "family toy". They're also to the age where tubing and waterskiing might start to appeal to them. So I think I have already decide that a boat is going to be more practical than a 3 seater pwc.

I have never owned a boat but think that I may want a 4 stroke jet boat. i like the looks and concept of the Sea Doo SCIC 4 strokes, either the Speedster or Sportster. For budgetary reasons, I would try to get a pre-owned 2 year old boat.

With that said, it appears the only concern with the SD 4 tecs is the cermaic washers thing. Is there anything else to watch out for? Also, are the Sugar Sand boats good too?

Any input appreciated.

I personnally own an 05 Challenger 180 with the 215HP SCIC 4tec engine in it, i'm quite satisfied as far as the boat itself....but yet would like a bit better speed from it, so i'm slowly modding it for that...more top-end speed.

Can't tell about the Sugar Sand boats, but the Sea-Doo 4tec engines are very good engines, and if you go with a supercharged one (which i have) there is plenty of potential to unleash new hidden horses....and yes the ceramic washers are a definite thing to replace prior any problems...for the rest it's pretty ok.

If you ever use a SC model....remember to push the boat a bit in deeper water prior to crank it...the supercharged models are real vaccum cleaners, and they can suck rocks big enough to empty your wallet...few feets (3-4) are ok for strating the engine and slowly move away, but NEVER do a full throttle start below 4 feets deep of water...or attempt to start the boat in only 1-2 feets, you'll litterally suck the bottom of the lake/river....!!!

Jeepster et al ...

I just took delivery of a Challenger 180 215 HP SCIC this summer ...

We're on a somewhat windy lake where 2-foot waves can appear without much advance warning.

How much chop have you experienced in this boat before you started to feel nervous?

Do you open up throttle to plane in these situations?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Don't get nervous about big waves as I promise you will have a hard time sinking a seadoo jetboat even if you try.
    Do a youtube search for sub move and you will see what I mean. Some have turned their boats into floating jacuzzies but after trolling around a bit the combination of the scupper valve and bilge pump will set things right again.
    I have done some salt water wave jumping in my C180 and have had waves crash completely over the bow when timed incorrectly but no problem. I eventually got a custom bow cover made for it as the nose sits kinda low. The seadoo bow cover offering is ok but I had one made with special clips that wont come undone like snaps can. Now when she crashes a wave it just rolls off and nobody gets wet.
    Last edited by cfnnslsq; 09-27-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Worst waves i took were out on the St-Lawrence river, there were 4 feet high waves one after the other, i wouldn't say it something to be affraid of, but like said if you are not well synchronized with the waves for successively jumping on after the other (either being too slow or too fast on the speed) you might end up getting wet or jumping it a bit harder, but in no situation i felt it was dangerous...just a bit bothering when you are in constant 4 feet waves...it'S just one bump after the other, but the hull is strong and capable to endure it without any sign of weakness.

Like said, the nose of the boat is a little bit low, so when you come across a bigger wave, just give it a bit more throttle so it keep the nose higher a bit, this should keep you dry....if you just cut off the throttle at this moment...you might see the entire wave entering your boat from the bow and rool down to the rear seat passengers...!!! Nothing too wild but it's kind of surprising the first time.

Sounds like I need to open throttle for more speed and planing when hitting wave headon and slowing down right after, and so on?

Are you near Mt. Ste. Anne? Beautiful terrain ... We try to ski/board there once every winter.

TIA. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    Worst waves i took were out on the St-Lawrence river, there were 4 feet high waves one after the other, i wouldn't say it something to be affraid of, but like said if you are not well synchronized with the waves for successively jumping on after the other (either being too slow or too fast on the speed) you might end up getting wet or jumping it a bit harder, but in no situation i felt it was dangerous...just a bit bothering when you are in constant 4 feet waves...it'S just one bump after the other, but the hull is strong and capable to endure it without any sign of weakness.

Like said, the nose of the boat is a little bit low, so when you come across a bigger wave, just give it a bit more throttle so it keep the nose higher a bit, this should keep you dry....if you just cut off the throttle at this moment...you might see the entire wave entering your boat from the bow and rool down to the rear seat passengers...!!! Nothing too wild but it's kind of surprising the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by ballfire8888 View Post
    Sounds like I need to open throttle for more speed and planing when hitting wave headon and slowing down right after, and so on?

Are you near Mt. Ste. Anne? Beautiful terrain ... We try to ski/board there once every winter.

TIA. Dave
    DOn'T need to hit full throttle each time, just ensur ethe nose of the boat is not too much down, in other words just lift it up a bit prior to hitting a very big wave, it should keep most of the water outside the boat...!

Not really close to Mt. Ste-Anne, i live elsewhere in Quebec Province, it's about a 4 hrs drive from Mt. Ste-Anne, but my location is called the Eastern Township, it's near Sherbrooke Qc. , well close to the Vermont's USA-Canada Border. If you ski then you might know Owl's Head ski resort, Mt. Glenn, Mt. Orford, Mt.Bromont, Mt. Sutton, those are way closer to where i live.....about 45 min. to 1 hour drive from them.

Yes, Mt. Ste-Anne is a very beautiful place to go...! Nice to hear you come to Quebec sometimes...last year i drove down to Orlando Florida with my car and family, we went there for 12 days, to visit Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Studios, and went to the beach at Daytona....kids liked it a lot...!!!

We've taken kids down to Florida ... they loved Disney and Universal also when they were younger ... recently we get south once a year during reading week and hop on a Carribean cruise which is very relaxing just like boating & cottaging!

Watch out for car break-ins during those overnight hotel stays off the interstate highways ... we had a bad experience in North Carolina off I75 and lost our luggage ... luckily, it was during our northbound leg home.

Near Xmas, we go boarding/skiing in la belle province ... yes, we drive by eastern townships and Owl's Head, etc. enroute to Ste, Anne.

Quote Originally Posted by ballfire8888 View Post
    We've taken kids down to Florida ... they loved Disney and Universal also when they were younger ... recently we get south once a year during reading week and hop on a Carribean cruise which is very relaxing just like boating & cottaging!

Watch out for car break-ins during those overnight hotel stays off the interstate highways ... we had a bad experience in North Carolina off I75 and lost our luggage ... luckily, it was during our northbound leg home.

Near Xmas, we go boarding/skiing in la belle province ... yes, we drive by eastern townships and Owl's Head, etc. enroute to Ste, Anne.
    Really...? Do you drive on the highway 10, or you use the highway 55 up to the 20...? The place where i live is around the Town named Granby,it's about 50 minutes of car driving from Owl's head ski station. Or if you prefer....15 minutes from Bromont, Qc. I use to ride my boat often on the Memphremagog Lake (The lake going from Magog to Newport VT), Massawipi Lake (located near North Hatley in Qc.)

So i suppose you stay close to the VT USA border....?

We pick up Hwy 20 from the Montreal area after 401 East from Ontario.

Thread Information