+1

Sponsons by Danny

Well...
    I'm sitting here all bored and restless, and can't sleep. A few items on my plate this winter include some mechanical trim tabs and some sponsons similar to stock.

Danny graciously sent me a set of his sponsons designed specifically for the GPR. I'll test them on the Vigilante, and maybe the Spitfire as time (and Danny) allows.

1st impressions.
    -Shorter than other brands. Not sure what this will do to stability. The stock sponsons are known for adding some strange type of lift to the ski at high speeds.
    -Well made. Seem Beefy. Blade attachment bolts near front of blade. No chance of ripping off from the front.
    -Inserts appear to be non-stainless. Probably just for prototype work.
    -Unique to the GPR, a stepped design. No other aftermarket offers this.
    -Lots of mounting options. Should be good to fine tune.

I don't know if they are IJSBA legal...or care. Those type of rules are usually pretty petty to me anyway. Danny probably knows. Ask him.

My needs:
    -Equal or surpass stock sponsons in smooth water bouncy-bouncy testing.
    -Ability to re-adjust and turn like the other aftermarket sponsons.
    -Quality to last.
    -No strange rough water bobbles.

That's it. That's all I'm looking for. It will be a few weeks or months, since the WF is coming up. Once we get testing data, I'll post it here. If they don't perform well, maybe Danny can find a way to use my data to make a better mousetrap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0761.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	39976  

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I'll test them on the Vigilante, and maybe the Spitfire as time (and Danny) allows. Do them both, see how they react...

1st impressions.
    -Shorter than other brands. Not sure what this will do to stability. The stock sponsons are known for adding some strange type of lift to the ski at high speeds. This setup has shown about 1/2mph gain @ 70mph...
    -Well made. Seem Beefy. Blade attachment bolts near front of blade. No chance of ripping off from the front. 1/2" thick blades (1/4" aluminum available), backing plate is 1" thick at middle mounting point, up to 1.5" thick at bottom...
    -Inserts appear to be non-stainless. Probably just for prototype work. THOSE inserts are galvanized (pre-production set) and I have switched to Stainless Steel...
    -Unique to the GPR, a stepped design. No other aftermarket offers this.
    -Lots of mounting options. Should be good to fine tune.

I don't know if they are IJSBA legal...or care. Those type of rules are usually pretty petty to me anyway. Danny probably knows. Ask him. YUP, they are legal...

My needs:
    -Equal or surpass stock sponsons in smooth water bouncy-bouncy testing.
    -Ability to re-adjust and turn like the other aftermarket sponsons.
    -Quality to last.
    -No strange rough water bobbles.

That's it. That's all I'm looking for. It will be a few weeks or months, since the WF is coming up. Once we get testing data, I'll post it here. If they don't perform well, maybe Danny can find a way to use my data to make a better mousetrap?

(answers above in red)
    Give them hell bro!

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    ttt

I love these... I have them on my ski, and I will do back to back testing of Stepped sponsons to these on Wednesday.

I know that Stability wise.. these things are awesome, I am totally confident in every turn.. and as I remember from stock ones.. it was kind of just a unsure feeling when I turned.. the back felt a lot more loose, but not with these..

just saying..

+1 for some great sponsons, I'd buy these again...
    Last edited by HallPass; 06-17-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information