vibration and rpm loss

bolted my riva ride plate on today and took 2 degree wedge off, put her in the water and away i went. first stab on throttle 70.6 in no time, full of fuel. decided to run around a bit to burn off some fuel, after about 45 mins time to have a few high speed runs. hit about 7500 rpm then stuttered and went to 7900rpm 70.2 mph. next run hit 7500 rpm and would not go higher ,motor all of a sudden sounded "harsh" like it had a vibration. every run after that the same raspy engine noise and vibration, would only do 65mph 3 bars of fuel left, boost 2 bars above 10.
    Any ideas anyone???
    already checked all the obvious things plugs, hoses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jjb03 View Post
    bolted my riva ride plate on today and took 2 degree wedge off, put her in the water and away i went. first stab on throttle 70.6 in no time, full of fuel. decided to run around a bit to burn off some fuel, after about 45 mins time to have a few high speed runs. hit about 7500 rpm then stuttered and went to 7900rpm 70.2 mph. next run hit 7500 rpm and would not go higher ,motor all of a sudden sounded "harsh" like it had a vibration. every run after that the same raspy engine noise and vibration, would only do 65mph 3 bars of fuel left, boost 2 bars above 10.
    Any ideas anyone???
    already checked all the obvious things plugs, hoses etc.
    Pull and check pump. Sounds as though you spun the prop off. Good thing is that if you did its covered under warranty.

Thanks skip, i will investigate.

Skip, is there an easy way to check this prop? poked around in there and eveything seems firm.

thanks skip, you were dead right. pulled the pump and the prop came off with it, and there is metal particles everywhere behind that cone thing on the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jjb03 View Post
    thanks skip, you were dead right. pulled the pump and the prop came off with it, and there is metal particles everywhere behind that cone thing on the pump.
    Dang !

Well if it didnt bend the drive shaft it should be a rather quick fix and hopefully youll be back on the water soon

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250xryder View Post
    Dang !

Well if it didnt bend the drive shaft it should be a rather quick fix and hopefully youll be back on the water soon

it is not a quick fix,,,, could change the splines will be stripped on the shaft and all the bearings are shot in it

oh and BTW i have the bearings for the pump if you need them... ordered a few sets when kawi was taking too long to get them to my dealer..... you'd be amazed at what you can do with the factory service guide

Thread Information